Mottle d'Uccle Chick?!

IHeartPoultry

Songster
May 30, 2015
♬Somewhere over the rainbow...♬
Is this a Mottle d'Uccle chick? If it's not what breed do you think he/she is?

Its a cute chick!

It doesn't have any feathering on its legs, so it isn't a d'uccle. It could, perhaps, be a d'anvers, which is similar but without feathered feet. It is a bantam, and it is black, so it could be an Old English Game, a Rose Comb, or a Japanese bantam.

It could be. Some hatcheries and a lot of backyard breeders have mix-breed bantams for sale. However, I think feathered legs is a dominant gene. I'm not sure though.

This is a silkie mix bantam with feathered legs and five toes, as well as the grey skin passed on either by the silkie side or perhaps the Sebright genetics in her

Yeah, I got a dozen eggs from a friend, she has almost all purebred hens and roosters but they are all different breeds, so it's likely she is a 50/50 mix. I get what you mean by the feathering on the legs and feet being dominate, so maybe she is Japanese bantam, could there be sebright in there? I don't know, I'll try to keep you updated on what she turns out to be in a couple weeks :)

Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention she/he appears to have a single comb.

Last edited:
When I crossed a single comb chicken with a rose comb the chicks all ended up with rose combs, so I think rose combs are dominant. I also think that walnut combs are dominant, though this is just from personal experience. That means that probably both your chicks parents had single combs, so OEG, Dutch Bantam, or Japanese Bantam mix.

Back
Top Bottom