Should I Get a Ayam Cemani or Svart Hona?

Peep-Chicken

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
This the right spot for this?

Anyways, would you all recommend I get a Cemani or Svart? Like what one is darker? Is anyone more friendly?

Thanks!

I want to know the same thing. Overall I think I like the Ayam Cemani more but want to know about its temperament compared to the Svart Hona.

I can't say what their temperament will be as they mature, but I have 2 ACs and 3 that are supposed to be ACs (they hatched out looking like Chick-Munks) I was told they are the Wild Strain? But as chicks they seem very curious....

Poppster, did you buy eggs from Bobfarm on eBay? His birds are mixes and there is no such thing as a wild strain. Sorry. He tells that lie to anyone who questions that the chicks are pure. I have cemanis and I really like and am happy to answer any questions about them. I haven't had svart honas though so I cannot compare the two.

Last edited:
Poppster, did you buy eggs from Bobfarm on eBay? His birds are mixes and there is no such thing as a wild strain. Sorry. He tells that lie to anyone who questions that the chicks are pure. I have cemanis and I really like and am happy to answer any questions about them. I haven't had svart honas though so I cannot compare the two.

What are some trustworthy sources of pure cemanis? It seems like this breed has a problem with lots of scammers.

It does have a problem with scammers trying to make quick money. I sell eggs occasionally and am happy to provide watermarked pictures of my birds to anyone who asks. There are several other trustworthy breeders in the Ayam Cemani Breeders open forum thread who may or not be selling right now. I'd avoid eBay like the plague without first checking if the seller is legit.

Last edited:
Good to know. I will check out that ayam cemani thread.

Why did you decide to get ayam cemanis, and what do you like most about them? Do they lay a little, a lot, or somewhere in the middle? Are they alert when it comes to predators and do they forage well?

Thanks!

I decided to get them because I saw them and fell in love with how they looked. They were so beautiful I knew I had to have them. Their looks have to be my favorite feature of the breed. So far in my experience they aren't the best layers, but they aren't completely horrible either. The cock is very alert about watching out for danger and the hens are pretty cautious. As to whether they forage well, I can't really answer that. Mine are kept in a secure coop and run because they are very expensive birds and losing one would really set me back.

Yes I did get them from him..and I knew he was lying about the Wild Strain...the eggs were a bit larger then the other two...and I figured if he had sold so many eggs he would have had to have One check of a big flock...so I have two AC and ? On the other three...try Green Fire Farm...day old chicks...but at 100 or more a chick...I figured I'd take my chances...well I ended up with Two that look purebred...so it still was cheaper then buying the chicks...what can ya do? Ya know?

Back
Top Bottom