ADVICE PLEASE - RIR Rooster Down!

Acefit411

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Catskill, NY
Heavy breathing, not drinking, and very weak crow if not at all. He looks at is food, but will only take fruit and bread from my hand. An occasional meal worm - half of a scramble egg yesterday. He is separate from his hens two days now.... He's not showing any other signs (eyes, nostrils are clear, comb and wattles look good)

He broke his top beak on July 1st ... Helped him along with the feeding process until it healed enough for him to adjust. Not up to his full eating potential, but otherwise seemed fine.

I don't know what to think - I thought he lost his mojo because of the broken beak - he couldn't feed his hens for the first two weeks ... The beak seems to be filling in (it was the nail like portion - yellow part of beak the beak).

He's getting worse - I don't know what to make of this - please help with any experience with this. Thank you in advance
1f614.png

I have started Duramyacin-10 (only antibiotics in house at the moment).

Could it be a respiratory thing? No other signs - mostly weakness. I'm going to put Vaseline on his legs, checked feet - I noticed a very tiny dot (I put Prid on it and wrapped it). Ugh
1f614.png

So I really don't like the way my boy looks, so I'm Running through a list for the doc; wormed in May, broke his beak on July 1st, no bugs, feet look okay, legs okay, weight is down about 2lbs, very weak and crow non existent....Off And running to the Vet NOW!

His poop looks very green, which can mean many things, but I would be highly suspicious of an infection.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy!
The vet did a fecal, and put him on metronidazole. She didn't think that he had a respiratory issue based on the progression of his illness. She told me for now to open his mouth and feed him dry moistened cat food and what ever else he will take. Grapes, blueberries and watermelon in place of drinking if he doesn't drink on his own.

I awoke to a very faint crow this morning and him standing - looked a little better then yesterday. She's calling me today with results of the test she ran.

Fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom