Rodent Repellent

sara728

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
Wisconsin - Fox Valley
Hi guys,
Do you think it's safe to use a rodent repellent around the coop? It's Messina's 'Rodent Stopper' spray. It contains geraniol, castor oil, mint oil, sodium sulfate, xantham gum, kaolin & water.
Thanks in advance,
Sara

What do the precautions say on the can? I wouldn't spray anything around chickens while they are in the coop. What they breathe will wind up in their bodies and in their eggs. It's not just what's in the spray that you need to consider but the propellants may be toxic as well.

.I don't know how successful those sprays actually are. One thing for sure is that you will have to keep spraying as the scent wears off. I prefer mouse/rat traps and if you have healthy rodents they can be an added source of protein, lol, even if you just throw them in the compost.

For some reason the bobcat pee is more scary to the mice. Not sure why but it is. The rancher I know who did the bobcat pee applied it in the spring once the rains subsided and will do it again in the fall.

I may be getting some myself since the mice here avoid traps.
he.gif

Hi guys,
Do you think it's safe to use a rodent repellent around the coop? It's Messina's 'Rodent Stopper' spray. It contains geraniol, castor oil, mint oil, sodium sulfate, xantham gum, kaolin & water.
Thanks in advance,
Sara
I am wanting to try this rodent stopper. Did you try it??

I highly doubt you're going to hear back from the OP. But for the record I use essential oils like mint that rats don't like in my coop. It's safe. There is no chance that it gets rid of rats, but it probably helps the coop to not seem like a free Hilton and it certainly smells great..... I've also tried pee, repellent light bulbs. You won't get rid of established rodent nests this way, it's only helpful at best. You have to do the real work (forum search for Howard E.'s posts on rodent control here on this forum,) to solve the problem for good.

Back
Top Bottom