First egg without shell or yolk

Hatching

Songster
6 Years
Jan 2, 2014
So around 7pm (7/24) last night my Hamburg pullet laid her first egg. It was very small which I expected, but was without a shell or yolk, just the albumen and membrane. When do you think she will lay again or start laying "normal" eggs?
Thanks everyone

Up until today she never showed ANY interest in the nest box, but today I saw her go in and even arranged a nest in the box with hay. Do you think I'll get another egg tonight ( she laid the first one at 7pm) or tomorrow ?
I know since this would only be her second egg her schedule may be erratic but estimates or guesses would be helpful. Thank you :)

I have only 3/14 laying, & I had at least 4 shelless eggs. That lasted about a week. Now all 3 are laying good hard shelled eggs. One lays every day. Another will lay for a day or two, then skip a day. My newest layer is laying every other day. It's so exciting, isn't it?! I can hardly wait to go out to see who's in the nesting box, & how many eggs I'm going to get
1f44d.png
1f604.png

At the beginning, one never knows what the frequency of ovulation will be but eventually most will lay at a rate consistent with their breed.
Hamburgs are excellent layers so in the next few weeks you'll likely be getting about 6 eggs a week.
It takes about 25 hours to make an egg and then depending on breed, additional time for the next ovulation. Since the last egg was in late evening, you likely won't get another till tomorrow morning.
Most eggs come in the morning because those are the ones that would come at night - if they laid during the night. For productive breeds, when the clock catches up with the backed up egg schedule, the eggs start coming later and later each day till they skip a day.

Make sure they are being fed a quality layer feed and a calcium supplement like oyster shell.

Again, you're talking about the second egg. That could take as long as a week or more. Especially since the first had no shell so clearly the reproductive tract has issues to work out.

I have eight girls at Maiden Heaven Farm....they were theoretically able to lay starting July 27 according to the calendars...The Gold Laced Wyandotte began one week later and has continued nicely....
But I found one nice shell less egg under their roost this week. I am totally hoping and believing it is one of the other girls getting her reproductive system in order for the main event of laying with egg shells intact.
At least 3 others are doing so thus I believe they have great nutrition, (non-gmo) plus other feeds, and lots of free ranging.

Hope everyone has a good day with their girls.....I am fascinated with mine....in my first year as Mama! Linda

Back
Top Bottom