Geese Questions (newbie)

Chicken Girl1

Queen of the Coop
6 Years
Mar 3, 2015
Virginia
Hello All,
A friend of ours told us about some local geese for sale, she has some from that breeder and they are the sweetest things. They are hand raised and come when called. I'm just wondering if my rooster will have a HUGE problem with them? How long would it take to integrate them?? And I heard of some people letting them out of the run in the summer/spring all day and night long (they would find a place to sleep), if I did would they get eaten? I know they are good flock protectors so I was assuming not. Sorry if I'm not making sense
hide.gif
. I hope you guys can answer my questions!
lol.png
fl.gif

~ChickenGirl1

The rooster might give them a try, but a gander can put a big whoopin' on a rooster. Geese are easily killed by bobcats, coyotes, dogs and even a pair of fox working together can kill a goose.

Geese are awesome! I don't personally own any, but I have done a lot of research.

If introduced over a few weeks and given plenty of space, they should be okay with the rooster and he with them. Geese are so large that unless you have anything larger than foxes. They are pretty aggressive towards predators and can probably hold their own.

Best of luck!

The rooster might give them a try, but a gander can put a big whoopin' on a rooster. Geese are easily killed by bobcats, coyotes, dogs and even a pair of fox working together can kill a goose.
We haven't had any of those predators come for our chickens (I haven't even seen them around, the last time I saw a fox was 3-4 years ago). What would a be a good price for two geese?

Geese are awesome! I don't personally own any, but I have done a lot of research.

If introduced over a few weeks and given plenty of space, they should be okay with the rooster and he with them. Geese are so large that unless you have anything larger than foxes. They are pretty aggressive towards predators and can probably hold their own.

Best of luck!
My friend got them to protect her new flock and advised me to do the same :).

Back
Top Bottom