help with Geese

familyfarm1

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 9, 2013
Northern Virginia
I am getting 2 geese for the first time and i am so excited! A few things though:
1. I want to house them with my chickens. That's ok right?
2. Can I let my chickens free rage more often and will the geese protect them sufficiently.
3. What do the geese need shelter wise, and do they need a pool.
4. Do they eat the same as the chickens.

Thank you!

I am getting 2 geese for the first time and i am so excited! A few things though:
1. I want to house them with my chickens. That's ok right?
2. Can I let my chickens free rage more often and will the geese protect them sufficiently.
3. What do the geese need shelter wise, and do they need a pool.
4. Do they eat the same as the chickens.

Thank you!
Based exclusively on my experience...depending on their age you may be able to keep them with chickens in the beginning. However, as they get older and especially when mating season begins they may become very aggressive with your chickens to the point of injury or death. Your geese will probably need to free range all the time as compared to your chickens. Geese are grazers and need access at all times to good grass and fresh water. They will need a shelter that will protect them from predators, both night and day, land and air. You will need to train them to be put up in the evening to keep them safe. They can eat the same as chickens but only as a supplement to grazing. You may want to get a good mixed flock feed like Purina Flock Raiser and put out oyster shell for your chickens. That way you will know that everyone is getting a good balance of nutrients.

You indicated that you were hoping that the geese would help protect your chickens. Truth of the matter is that geese make pretty good watch "dogs" but not good guard "dogs" at all. In a pinch the goose is going to do what it needs to do to protect itself and its mate/offspring. The most you can reliably expect as far as protection of your chickens is that the goose will sound an alarm honk which in all likelihood the chickens will just ignore.

good luck

I think geese do make good guard dogs, they chase off many predators. But it is best if you keep them separate from the chickens at night. While sleeping they like their own space.

My goose is a great guard dog against cats, which is the biggest predator that I have to contend with in my garden. She honks and chases them, which sets the dog off (who sleeps indoors) and when I let the dog out the the pair of them charge around the garden harassing the trespasser. My dog and my cats have great respect for her and never venture too close or she nips them, but she has never chased my cats they way she chases the "foreign" ones....

Last edited:
They hatched in April so they are fair sized. They will have a separate housing then the chickens. How secure does it have to be and how big for a pair? I'm a little confused why there would be a problem from air predators since they are so large......... Also,we do have coyotes but have never had them attack the chickens. I know they are a threat but I think the geese should be fine. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Geese have no problem with air predators, in fact they repel them.

Make their housing big enough that they can walk around a bit while they're inside. They should not be bumping into each other or they will fight (even bonded mates).

Make everything secure as it can be.

Back
Top Bottom