Broody hens leave nest when moved

cbourbeau32

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 29, 2014
I have two hens that went broody a few days ago so I waited for 3 days to be sure that they were going to actually stay broody. Well they did and sit on their nest all day except for getting up for a few minutes a day to grab a bite to eat and then return to the nest. I went to move them last night after dark (as I learned from my mistakes last time from trying to leave the hen with the rest of the flock) and when I moved them to their new separate enclosures both almost immediately got off the laying box I had put them on (golf balls only, no eggs, planned to add eggs today) and went and sat on the ground in the corner of the enclosure. This morning neither was on their nest but standing at the end of their enclosure wanting out. I let them out and both immediately returned to the coop and hopped into their same box and have been sitting all day. Would putting and entire clutch of eggs under them have made a difference in them staying where I moved them?

Thanks, Charlie

No.

I've had the same problem time and again. Moving them is really hard. You could try covering the nest boxes with wire and removing it once a day to let them stretch and eat.

Best of luck!

No.

I've had the same problem time and again. Moving them is really hard. You could try covering the nest boxes with wire and removing it once a day to let them stretch and eat.

Best of luck!

I guess I got spoiled the first time (it was my first time to have chickens and first broody hen) when it went perfectly (after I moved her). For now I've started the eggs in my incubator. I'll see how they act over the next couple of days.

Thanks, Charlie

Usually when I move my broodies it takes them 24-48 hrs to sit again. I just wait that long to put the real eggs under.

My silkie will take to a nest in literal seconds. Pekins are similar to silkies and are great broodies!
smile.png
I've tried moving other breeds and they panic so bad they look like they are going to kill themselves in the crate I move them too.

Back
Top Bottom