Duckling with injured leg please help asap.

chickenpal147

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Labadie Missouri
I have a duckling that hatched this morning and he was completely fine. I went to musical practice he was fine when I came home I found him sitting in a corner with a leg sticking out I thought he was just stretching but he wasn't the leg is completely stuck out to the side.what is wrong with him and how do I make him all better.

The thing with this duckling though is it had no trouble standing and walking around it's almost like one of his siblings hurt him some how because the leg sticks straight out to the side. But I will try the coffee mug and see what happens.

I use nutri drench in my water. Hope its something simple. how old is it? I see the incubator there. How many siblings are with it? Does it make different sounds when you touch its leg compared to just holding it? Can you feel if anything is broken or dislocated tho at that size I don't think they could do that much damage to each other. Make sure there's niacin in their water it helps with leg growth.

He was born this morning he had 3 others with him he didn't seem to mind when I was touching his leg I didn't feel anything but then again I don't know what to feel for. You see the bator because I put him in to separate him from the others he has a sibling and a new born chick with an injured leg in with him. (Put him in the bator only way to separate him and keep him warm)

Last edited:
Definitely try the cup, some times the body is just to heavy from the jump. doesnt seem like others caused the damage.
Coffee cup next to lamp for 15 mins assisted every hour or so. Don't forget to dip beak in nutrient water after. It will encourage her to drink.
Best of luck and keep us posted

I took the ducklings hobble off last night so he could play in the water with his brothers and sisters last night. And when I went to go get him to put it back on I couldn't figure out which one of the ducklings he was. When I went to go clean out of the brooder this morning I still couldn't tell which one he was.:)

Back
Top Bottom