What type of broiler is this?

Cole405

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2015
I have this hen, but I don't raise her for meat. I raise her as a pet, and an egg layer. But what breed is she?

Where did you get her? By the look of her frame I wouldn't say that she is a broiler at all. Broilers are normally considered Cornish Cross who reach butcher weight at 7 weeks of age. Meat breeds also have stockier bodies because skinny birds don't produce a lot of meat.

What I think you have is a Leghorn or a cross similar to it. Which by definition is not a broiler but an egg layer. Leghorns are such good egg layers that the commercial egg laying companies use them.

Can you show another picture of her just to make sure. I told you what I could by just looking at this picture but I would like to be able to see the tail, color and size of legs, because a lot of breeds have different features to them that make them unique.

I agree we need another picture or two, preferably a full body shot head to tail, to feet ... from the side, and also one from the front ...

How old is the bird?

About how much does it weigh?

It does look like a mixed breed ... possibly with a Leghorn ... will lay white eggs ... the floppy comb looks Leghornish ... back along time ago the Leghorn was also used as fryers in the pullman cars of the trains ... I've read ...

Is that black streaks in her feathers?

Last edited:
She is a few months old. Here are some other photos. She is very heavy. She lays very light brown eggs. I don't carry her much. But she still let's me carry her. She knows her name. every time I call her she runs to me.

Last edited:
That breast looks very Cornish cross-like to me, but the color seems like California white (a white leghorn that is 1/4 barred rock). Idk though because I have California white chicks right now, never had any adult leghorns before. I have had a cornish cross reach laying egg and actually lay an egg. At that time, her face was red and she would squat for males but her comb was nowhere near your birds comb siZe.

Back
Top Bottom