Anyone kept a cornish X rooster until adult?

Sabz

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Quebec, Canada
I know normally we wouldn't do that, but did anyone ever keept a cornish or cornish X rooster?

I had an attack on my flock and managed to save one of the 6 bird attacked. I nursed him back to health and now he is just fine, but slender and fit like a layer! I had to tube-feed him for a while so he didn't eat as much as the others.

I suppose I could keep him for a long time given his condition (if I continue to restrain feeding).

So I was wondering, did anyone do this? My main questioning was: if I do keep him (I like a rooster in winter, it's one more chicken to heat the coop and protect the ladies) will I be able to feed him with the layers? I guess he would eat everything and the layers would not be able to eat..

Normally I would suggest no because of the anatomy of a cornish cross. They grow rapidly and I've noticed by 7 or 8 weeks some can barely stand. Cornish Cross have an increased chance of heart attacks and someone I knew had one for a while longer and the spleen exploded. I'm assuming that because you recognized that we don't normally do this you're either aware or semi-aware of this.

But yes in this case you're probably going to be okay to keep him until he is an adult just by the way he is gaining weight. He might never gain the same weight he was supposed to in the first place. How old is he now? Normally Cornish X are butchered at 7 weeks but they've also developed a fourteen week strain. Cornish do not grow at the same rate as Cornish Cross do.

I have kept CX pullets up to 18 weeks (she was HUGE). I've always butchered cockerals by 12 weeks do to size.

As for your last question, I don't see why not, once he is healed, although keep in mind he might not make it through the entire winter.

The first time I kept CX I was disgusted by them. It was suggested that I give them another chance and raise them as I would my free range flock. This was a game changer! They grew slower (less leg issues) and were a joy to watch chase bugs and act like normal chickens. I highly suggest free ranging small groups (>25) for amazing meat.

Normally I would suggest no because of the anatomy of a cornish cross. They grow rapidly and I've noticed by 7 or 8 weeks some can barely stand. Cornish Cross have an increased chance of heart attacks and someone I knew had one for a while longer and the spleen exploded. I'm assuming that because you recognized that we don't normally do this you're either aware or semi-aware of this.

But yes in this case you're probably going to be okay to keep him until he is an adult just by the way he is gaining weight. He might never gain the same weight he was supposed to in the first place. How old is he now? Normally Cornish X are butchered at 7 weeks but they've also developed a fourteen week strain. Cornish do not grow at the same rate as Cornish Cross do.

Yes I am aware of it :) I thought that because of him slim body (for now) he would probably not have leg or heart problems.

Right now he is 7 weeks old. Around 3.4 pounds. He was tube-fed for 10 days, but before I found a vet that would give me a tube, I had only a syringe to feed him in the beak. Needless to say he wasn't getting enough food. Then with the tube, I could feed before and after work, until the crop seemed full, but I guess he would have needed another feeding around mid-day to grow at a more normal rate.

It's the only cornish X I have ever seen that could be mistaken with a layer ;)

The first time I kept CX I was disgusted by them. It was suggested that I give them another chance and raise them as I would my free range flock. This was a game changer! They grew slower (less leg issues) and were a joy to watch chase bugs and act like normal chickens. I highly suggest free ranging small groups (>25) for amazing meat.

I agree!! Mine are outside a lot and they are pretty active. Well, they still lay down a lot after they get to 6-7 weeks, but it's also freakin' hot here these days :(. Poor chickens, my coop is way too warm. I've been losing some because of that. I added some water containers but now they make the coop too humid. Arg.. constant battle. I need to open a new post for that.

Yes I am aware of it :) I thought that because of him slim body (for now) he would probably not have leg or heart problems.

Right now he is 7 weeks old. Around 3.4 pounds. He was tube-fed for 10 days, but before I found a vet that would give me a tube, I had only a syringe to feed him in the beak. Needless to say he wasn't getting enough food. Then with the tube, I could feed before and after work, until the crop seemed full, but I guess he would have needed another feeding around mid-day to grow at a more normal rate.

It's the only cornish X I have ever seen that could be mistaken with a layer ;)

I agree!! Mine are outside a lot and they are pretty active. Well, they still lay down a lot after they get to 6-7 weeks, but it's also freakin' hot here these days :(. Poor chickens, my coop is way too warm. I've been losing some because of that. I added some water containers but now they make the coop too humid. Arg.. constant battle. I need to open a new post for that.

Can you keep the containers outside in a shady area? I keep shallow dishes for them to stand in. Also cool treats like watermelon, and such can help a lot. We have had several 100+ days and I have all heavy birds, several Brahmas. So far so good.

Not for now :(

I had a predator come in my run and kill 5, so I have to repair it :(
I am doing it tonight, if I can stand the heat long enough :)

I will add 1/2 inch wire all over the existing run, as well as underground.

Hopefully tomorrow I can leave them outside with water containers!

Back
Top Bottom