Different size coturnix eggs

bekaboom

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2015
Texas
My jumbo Browns have just started laying. Their first eggs were really small. The next day they were a bit bigger and the next day even bigger. I also noticed the first eggs had some type of white build up on them in blotches and I'm assuming it was a calcium build up??? They weren't smooth and the coloring on the eggs wasn't a "typical" coturnix coloring. They were more splashed with some brown and lots of that white crusty stuff. I even had an almost all green egg. But now they are bigger and very smooth and have the typical brown spots like you see in the store. The inside of the eggs all looked fine and tasted just as good! So, I'm assuming this is normal and it's just their bodies getting used to laying eggs. My thoughts are to wait a couple of weeks, see who is laying the nicest and largest eggs and then use them as breeders. Does this sound normal and like a good plan??

Yes. That would be the way we pick them. Unless you want to try for the smallest eggs. Lol

It takes a few days for them to lay perfect eggs. Give it a try & see how fast you can make a perfect one. ;)

That is ask an attempt at humor while answering your question so I hope you take it as such.

I took it as humor! I tried laying eggs. Didn't work. Instead of eggs I got kids. 4 of them. And all boys. So I decided quail would do the job better!!

And speaking of humor, there is a post somewhere around here that I found when googling. Someone posted a question about how to make the quail lay eggs. Someone else replied by saying squeeze the quail until an egg pops out. Then they said they were just kidding, don't do it. It was one of the funniest posts I have seen. It gave me a really good laugh. It also made me know not to ask that question!

:) Sadly you have to clarify that it is a joke or someone may try it. I have 4 boys myself. But I also have a daughter. Oldest is 12 going down to 2. I have a wife that is 6 years younger that looks really young for her age (or I look really old) & there was times she was called my daughter when we were dating.

Back
Top Bottom