Sick duck :(

khakimom14

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2015
Morning guys. I went out to the duck coop this morning to find that one of my drakes is sick. He is very lethargic, uncoordinated, and his breathing is shallow. I cleaned out the coop, gave him fresh water and food, and kept him in there for the day. The other drakes were starting to pick on him because he's sick. Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be? The bedding did need to be changed, so I am leaning towards possible mold accumulation in food, but I am not sure. The sick drake can stand, but he's wobbly, and it's almost as if he's having a hard time seeing. Please help, I know it could be a variety of issues, I just want to know how to make him better...

In addition, he was walking around with the other ducks this morning, but he is weak, I can tell. I hope putting him in the coop today was the best idea :( My heart is very heavy with fear and sadness...

Ok, I am starting think constipation might be what we're looking at here. What are the symptoms of a constipated duck? He has really watery poop this morning. They are getting layer pellets right now.

Sounds like botulism or some kind of poisoning. Lots of fresh water, get him someplace comfortably cool by himself. Consider a flush (just once), and I would certainly get him some food grade activated charcoal slurry to absorb the toxins.

Here are the recipes. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

hugs.gif

@khakimom14

Thank you so much. Might sound silly, but can a flush be done by my duck just drinking the concoction?

I would give it a try - let them drink it.

If they don't - well, you need to consider quickly learning how to get some down their throat with a syringe - be careful - there is a specific side of the mouth to use to avoid sending it into their lungs.

I have put charcoal in my ducks' water before and they drink it fine. Food grade charcoal, not the briquettes!!!

Ok, I made an appointment for the vet tomorrow at noon, I have the day off tomorrow from work. Should I go to the vet? So many mixed emotions, because taking him to the vet would probably traumatize him, but curing him myself isn't guaranteed. And vet bills are very expensive, but I might have to do it to save my baby...

A good duck vet is always best. They have access to diagnostics that we don't have.

One caveat - some vets are apt to give up on a duck too soon. Don't let that happen. Ducks can bounce back from horrible situations, given some good treatment and TLC.

Back
Top Bottom