Which Breed For Young Chicken Enthusiast?

Smith Gang

Hatching
Jul 28, 2015
Hi all! My son, 11 yrs old wants to start his own "Chicken Business." We're always willing to help a lil success start! LOL So, he loves the look of silkies and thinks he would like to start with them. Our current flock is listed below. I had these breeds growing up and our flock is doing great. Of course his would be kept separate. Here are our questions:
1. Variety or single color flock?
2. Are they hardy in South Western Ky weather?
3. Are they prone to any diseases or illnesses?
4. If variety, do they sale as well as pure colored if mixed bred?
5. Any suggestions of care for my young enthusiast?

Thanks Bunches,
Steph
8 red sex links
5 white leg horns
5 Plymouths

At the top of this page is a box marked "breeds". Have your son click and read about all the great breeds there are. There is something for anyone interested in raising chickens.

If he wants to have a 'chicken business,' I would recommend Red Sex-Links. Although you already have those, so he might want his own special breeds. I love my multibreed flock, and it makes them easy to tell apart, so I would definitely recommend a mixed flock. My favorites are Cochins, Orpingtons, Ameraucanas, Easter Eggers, Marans, Australorps, and Silkies. Most of these are pretty hardy, but look farther into any breeds you like to see if they'll do well in your climate. If he's going to sell the birds and not eggs, then I would recommend selling purebreds because they will seem higher quality. Also, these breeds are adorable. Best of luck to him with his chicken enterprise! :)

Hi all! My son, 11 yrs old wants to start his own "Chicken Business." We're always willing to help a lil success start! LOL So, he loves the look of silkies and thinks he would like to start with them. Our current flock is listed below. I had these breeds growing up and our flock is doing great. Of course his would be kept separate. Here are our questions:
1. Variety or single color flock?
2. Are they hardy in South Western Ky weather?
3. Are they prone to any diseases or illnesses?
4. If variety, do they sale as well as pure colored if mixed bred?
5. Any suggestions of care for my young enthusiast?
Sounds like your son is embarking on a fun business. What is his goal? Does he want to sell eggs or birds? Are the chickens a hobby/business or pets. More interested in bantams or large fowl?
Some things to consider, does he want a single egg color or multi colored eggs? Some breeds are autosexing or can be sexed upon hatch so there is no keeping birds for weeks until you figure out the sex.
I do like differences in both my birds and eggs, but the advantage of a single breed/ single color flock there is no guessing once the chicks have hatched. You can tell people the exact breed and color from the get go.
Most of the people in our area seem to have mixed breeds in farm flocks. I have both pure and mixed in my layer flock and often breed my mixes for size and color of eggs as well as number and when they start laying
The only downside to that is that finding homes for really nice tempered mixed breed flock roosters is really difficult.

Back
Top Bottom