Pigeon (dove) release and meat pigeons

Meesa07

Hatching
Jul 28, 2015
Hello, I am new to the site but have been considering raising white homing pigeons for special occasion dove releases...small scale 20 birds or less and also have considered raising some for meat as well. Which breeds would be best suited for what I'm wanting to do and if any leads as to where I might purchase them would be much appreciated.
I currently raise chickens and ducks but pigeons are out of my scope here.
Also wondering if the 3rd story of my barn might be suitable to turn into a loft instead of building a new structure. Any foreseeable problems with this other than the horrendous walk lol? Thanks in advance
[/IMG]

:welcome
That sounds like a great plan! Renting out pigeons for wedding releases. You should get white homers. Don't fly them till they're fully grown tho. There are plenty of threads on BYC on how to train pigeons!
For meat pigeons, there are utility king pigeons. I think.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Look up hokum coco, as he has experience in this. i do too some n eat lesser quality etc white homers i squab out, where decent squeakers get raised to build up white dove army. hahaha

Which breeds would be best suited for what I'm wanting to do and if any leads as to where I might purchase them would be much appreciated.
I currently raise chickens and ducks but pigeons are out of my scope here. Runts or King pigeon (like previously mentioned ) are good eating birds I have at present Belgium white homers they can fly 300 miles or more no problem. I am in the process of rebuilding my flock as I was wiped completely out by weasels this year. I live in Canada so most of the birds I fly were originally imported from the USA.
Also wondering if the 3rd story of my barn might be suitable to turn into a loft instead of building a new structure. Any foreseeable problems with this ] Predators maybe, tighen up a few gaps and areas, out side of that it looks excellent.

Back
Top Bottom