Rooster but no fertile eggs

TherryChicken

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
del valle, tx
We've had him for a while now, eggs should be way fertile. He's close to a year and breeds some of my hens, but eggs have yet to become fertile. They have all been tested for salmonella etc and is negative. He is about 1/3rd smaller then my birds. Why aren't my eggs fertile yet?

Sounds like a bantam rooster. He might be having some mechanical issues.
gig.gif

How are you testing the eggs for fertility?

Sounds like a bantam rooster. He might be having some mechanical issues. :gig

How are you testing the eggs for fertility?

He's not bantam. He's just a smaller standard such as polish silkie mix. N I'm incubating. Cracking them open does no good cause my girls have always had a bulls eye. Even with no rooster

Welcome! I'm new here too. My experience is,my bantam rooster is also smaller than all of my hens except one. The bantam hen. At first,she was the only one he could mate. Because the other girls were not only too big,but wouldn't allow him. I think he felt inferior to them and maybe even afraid. They're mean!! My hens were setting on clutches but no fertile eggs. That's frustrating,I know. Until just recently,I had my first hatchlings! And now have 2 more brooders. Be patient. He is trying! If you put a hen and him in a pen where she can't escape him,might have better luck. I guarantee you he is trying. You will have success soon. I'll pray it's not too long. As the experience with chicks is most heavenly! God Bless!

Last edited:
Welcome! I'm new here too. My experience is,my bantam rooster is also smaller than all of my hens except one. The bantam hen. At first,she was the only one he could mate. Because the other girls were not only too big,but wouldn't allow him. I think he felt inferior to them and maybe even afraid. They're mean!! My hens were setting on clutches but no fertile eggs. That's frustrating,I know. Until just recently,I had my first hatchlings! And now have 2 more brooders. Be patient. He is trying! If you put a hen and him in a pen where she can't escape him,might have better luck. I guarantee you he is trying. You will have success soon. I'll pray it's not too long. As the experience with chicks is most heavenly! God Bless!

Welcome! Thank you but I'm not new. My rooster mates my hens, they make it very easy for him, the eggs just aren't becoming fertile

The point we're trying to make is, we understand he's going through the motions, we just don't believe he's hitting the mark. Given his size difference, it's going to take some time for him to get it just right.

Also, if you crack a few open and post a pic of the bullseye, I'm sure someone here can help identify even the most difficult to tell.

The point we're trying to make is, we understand he's going through the motions, we just don't believe he's hitting the mark. Given his size difference, it's going to take some time for him to get it just right.

Also, if you crack a few open and post a pic of the bullseye, I'm sure someone here can help identify even the most difficult to tell.

I actually did that a while back. I'll give him more time (already been 2 or so months), but he was breeding orpingtons etc at his past home. Am I going to have to artificially do it?

Oh ok I'm sorry. I meant to say just that I'm new. :). I was just trying to share my experience thinking maybe something might help. No I don't think you were rude. I know it's frustrating. I think maybe what Nupe said sounds like that's probably what's going on. But,keep your chin up sweetie! It'll happen. :)

Last edited:
Oh ok I'm sorry. I meant to say just that I'm new. :). I was just trying to share my experience thinking maybe something might help. No I don't think you were rude. I know it's frustrating. I think maybe what Nupe said sounds like that's probably what's going on. But,keep your chin up sweetie! It'll happen. :)

Thank you, I wasn't trying to sound rude and oh ok well welcome! I'm from Texas :).

Back
Top Bottom