When will he become dominant?

sophiaw00

Songster
Apr 27, 2015
Illinois
I had a cockerol that I was raising to eventually be introduced into my flock of 8 pullets but last night he and another pullet were snatched by a raccoon (made another post about their life). My friend who raised chickens offered to let me have her favorite rooster, a blue cuckoo Marans, and I am obviously going to take her up on the offer. He is completely mature and was hatched out last September. I am planning on attempting to put him on the roost one night and wake up early the next morning to see how they are doing. Hopefully it will be an easy transition into the flock. My question is, when will he become dominant? Right now the top of the pecking order is a hen named Dixie. She is a blue andalusian. What issues could I run into with them? I am probably going to get him and one of her hens so that he is not alone and already has one of his girls with him.

I'm sorry about your two chicks.

The girls might not take to your new roo right away, and he might be a little crazy with them, perhaps calling for his old flock or asserting himself with them. You might want to try a slow introduction over a couple days, through a fence, before putting him in the roost, just so they don't have some terrible fight in the early morning.

Best of luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom