Bringing home mama and her babies

Mamafug8

In the Brooder
May 25, 2015
JC, Oregon
Hi! We have a small flock of free ranging backyard hens and in 2 weeks or so will be getting a Hen and her newly hatched chicks. (We decided not to move her and the fertile eggs from the previous owner until after they hatch, for fear that she would abandon the eggs).
What do I need to expect when bringing them home. I know I will need to have a separate coop for them. I'm pretty new in the backyard chicken game but extremely excited for this new experience and adventure!!! Thanks in advance for all the help!

Make sure to have a separate area where she and the chicks won't be attacked. Since she is new to the flock they will fight if not separated. Have a place where she can nest with her chicks, just make sure that the chicks can come back into the nest. When I move my hens that have new chicks, I move them at night so they won't leave the nest. I use a bucket as nesting box. Here is one of my hens with her chicks and the bucket as a nest.

You only need the separate coop when she is sitting on or brooding eggs. Once her chicks hatch any momma hen worth her oyster shells will protect her chicks from all other hens in your flock. Don't worry about roosters because I have never had an adult rooster (12 months or older) harm or even threaten to harm a chick.

Back
Top Bottom