Our four-legged friends - A thread for special dogs, cats and other animals

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
I'm sure most of us here has/had at least one animal in their lives that was very special to them. This thread is for pics and stories of all those special dogs, cats, horses etc that we have, or had.

I'll start with a dog I had in my teens, Lelik. Lelik was the result of a Staffordshire Bullterrier visiting the neighbour's Bouvier and he was the most ridiculous looking pup, we affectionately called him Lelik (afrikaans word for "ugly") and the name stuck. My mom used to say he was so ugly, he was pretty and he was, he was a beautiful dog with a heart of solid gold.

My friend passed away in 1998 and I didn't have another dog until 2 days ago, when my son and I received this little cutie pie, Sacha. She is an English Bullterrier:

Please share pics and stories of your special dogs, cats and other animals, past and present!

Last edited:
My most beloved pet was a two-legged winged friend. "Skeebie" the Latino Lovebird. This bird was given to me from a breeder 18 years ago at the age of 10 weeks old. Generally Lovebirds are given away or sold in pairs, (male and female) because as the name states, Lovebirds must have a mate through out their lives. They get so attached to this mate that many times when their mate dies, the remaining bird pines away and dies instead of looking for another mate. Mates do everything together and are rarely doing something else while the other is off doing something else.

No she isn't dead here....but so relaxed that she would fall asleep in your hand....

Skeebie and I did everything together. She was never in her cage unless I was at work, not home or bedtime all night. She would throw fits when I went to leave for work and would dump her food and water, screaming with dismay. I found that if I left on some quite music for her, she remained calm and waited for me to come home from work. She lived on my shoulder when ever I was home with her. She would scamper down my arm as I swept the floor and screamed louder for me to hurry...she sat on my wrist as I did the dishes, biting my hand if I got her wet....she sat on the shower curtain rod as I showered so she could "protect" me....she napped under my shirt as me and the hubby watched TV at night...and of course she even joined me in every meal. Of course she had to have a taste of everything I ate.

She passed away at 12 years of age, pretty typical lifespan of Lovebirds. I cried for months later after losing my best friend and nearly wanted to jump in the grave with her. She was the most special animal friend I have ever had.

I will add my family when life settles down a bit, but I love this thread.
I can see why love birds mate for life.
hugs.gif

Sumi, lots of growing puppy pictures in the next weeks, alright?

My best dog friend was my Black Labrador Retriever, Milo. My dad wanted a trained bird dog to take to Canada for goose hunting season, so he got Milo from a family friend in 2002. I basically grew up with him and our Bassett Hound, and they were part of the family. I can remember many hours spent helping to take care of him, walking him and even throwing the bird dummies into the lake and pond for him to retrieve as part of his bird training. Sadly back in 2011 we found out he had cancer, so in January of 2012 I went with my mom to the vet to say goodbye to my best friend. Milo passed away at the age of 13, and I cried for months after. Actually if I still think about it to much, I'll start bawling.

My best cat friend is my 4 year old orange tabby cat, Marmalade. We picked up him and his sister, a calico kitty named Ginger, in September of 2011 when they were kittens. While my siblings immediately fell in love with Ginger, I fell in love with Marmalade. Almost every morning when I wake up he's sleeping on my bed with me. He's a cuddle bug and gets very depressed when I leave for long periods of time. In 2012 we went on a month long vacation to NC, when we finally got home and I walked in the door he came running to me and tried to launch himself at my pant leg and climb up it. That's how much he wanted to see me. He's such a sweetie and I love him so much.

Marmalade and Ginger as kittens.

Marmalade and one of his favorite pastimes, sleeping on my bed.

My little buddy and I.

Quote: Getting ready to drive the boy off to college... so... no
hit.gif

But it's a good thing. I'm good. I think. I am trying to keep it all together and get it all together at the same time.
Oh gosh...yes, hard to let your babies go! Lots of hugs coming your way!
hugs.gif

I've had many pets in my life. My family always says that I've turned out house into a farm!
lau.gif
I currently have 7 animals.

Simba, our standard poodle, is 10 years old. I've grown up with him basically since we got him when I was really little. He is very affectionate, loyal, sweet, protective, lazy and adorable. He loves his family and hates when he gets separated from us. When one or more members of the family leave, he stops eating and acts depressed. When we return, he dances around with a toy in his mouth acting like we've been gone for years! He is just so cute and funny!

Cargo, is my guinea pig that I got back in January of this year. He is lively, friendly and very squeaky! When he sees me or my mom walk by or we talk to him, he squeals back at us, awaiting his treat. I've never known a guinea pig to be as lively and curious as he is!

And then of course I have my five hens. Gracie, Sunny, Daisy, Rosie and Quanie. Gracie is my favorite. She follows me around, eats from my hand and doesn't allow me to sit down without having her sit with me. She also is very protective of me and her fellow sisters. She fought of a hawk who attacked Quanie. She chases birds, rabbits, Simba and even the occasional deer!
Gracie

Quanie

Daisy

Sunny

Rosie

I love this thread already!

Old dogs, new pups, sweet lovebirds, cats...love them all. What a wonderful way to hear some great stories!

At present the love of my life is my Maltese dog Lollie. If you have ever kept a Maltese, you will know how emotionally sensitive they are and have intense separation anxiety. So of course Lollie has to come along where ever we go!! I swore I would never buy a puppy on line, however I really wanted a Maltese and I couldn't for the life of me find a breeder here in New Mexico. So I found a puppy I liked on line in Norman, Oklahoma. Too far to drive so the only other way to get this 3 month old pup to us was by airplane!!
barnie.gif
I was terrified all morning knowing this tiny puppy was in the cargo section of a big jet airliner on it's way to the Albuquerque Sunport. I was glad to hear this airline keeps the dog compartment heated and the stewardesses take very good care of the precious cargo!

Lollie arrived safely that morning along with another puppy that another couple was waiting with us that they too had ordered on line from somewhere.

He is know 5 1/2 years old and I can't imagine life without him. He sleeps under the covers at night right up next to me each night, loves huggies, will lick you to death and is the sweetest dog ever!!

Lollie going out for tricks and dog treats!

Doing what Lollie does best.....snuggling under blankies!

Back
Top Bottom