Live bugs in dried mealworm treat - Question

MeepMeeps

Songster
5 Years
Jun 15, 2015
Long Island, NY
Hi! I'm fairly new here; I have 6 chickens that are just over 3 months old. I am loving them. I have a quick question regarding dried meal worm treats. This is my 2nd time purchasing it and the chickens love it. This time around, I want to know if anyone has had small live bugs in it, as well as what look like small "baby" live meal worms in the package. I opened the package and gave some to my girls, and noticed the crawly bugs in there. A couple of the worms looked like they came out of the dried hollow mealworm.
sickbyc.gif
I let them eat what I gave them but decided to stop and put the package in a zip loc bag. I emailed the company to deal with it directly but wanted to know if anyone here has experienced this before? Should I be worried? I do not want to name the product at this time since they have yet to respond to me!

Thanks!

Hi! I'm fairly new here; I have 6 chickens that are just over 3 months old. I am loving them. I have a quick question regarding dried meal worm treats. This is my 2nd time purchasing it and the chickens love it. This time around, I want to know if anyone has had small live bugs in it, as well as what look like small "baby" live meal worms in the package. I opened the package and gave some to my girls, and noticed the crawly bugs in there. A couple of the worms looked like they came out of the dried hollow mealworm.
sickbyc.gif
I let them eat what I gave them but decided to stop and put the package in a zip loc bag. I emailed the company to deal with it directly but wanted to know if anyone here has experienced this before? Should I be worried? I do not want to name the product at this time since they have yet to respond to me!

Thanks!

Dried mealworms should not have larvae and bugs in them. Your chickens are probably fine, but I'd have the company send a new bag.

My followup - sometimes it happens but the dried mealworm treats shouldn't have live bugs in it. The manufacturer was very proactive in contacting me and making things right. All good.

Back
Top Bottom