Goats and ducks

julie0477

Songster
6 Years
May 14, 2013
Brown County, Indiana
A pesky fox (I suspect) snatched one of my lovely pekins two nights ago after two years of no incidents :(. I decided to move my remaining duck (I am picking up a new mate for him today I hope that works out!) to my little goat pasture. It's a 125 ft x 50 ft enclosure with four pygmies. They all get along fine but I am wondering if the loose minerals that the goats get could possibly harm my ducks? Isn't copper toxic to them? Let me know what you think!

I'm sorry to hear about your duck.

The ducks should know not to eat the minerals and probably won't touch them. Just keep an eye out on that for the first few days. You could also get some geese, I hear they are great protectors.

Best of luck!
smile.png

Believe it or not I have an LGD (live stock guardian dog) and she is awesome. Well, she is more of a farm guard, she doesn't live with the birds and goats full time but she keeps an eye on everything. This one particular night I was getting my two little girls to sleep and my oldest daughter had the dog in the basement petting her and the fox took that opportunity. Live and learn.

I'll keep an eye on them. Thanks for your help!!

Back
Top Bottom