Respritory infection, duck relapsing

Lisjad

Hatching
Jun 16, 2015
Maui, Hawaii
I found my duck, Coco, Friday afternoon having great difficulty breathing. I rushed her to the vet and he gave her a shot of antibiotics. He told me to keep her inside over night and come get oral antibiotics Saturday morning if she was better. Miraculously, she was remarkable better in the morning. She wasn't showing any sign of labored breathing so I have her some peas to eat and she had no problem eating them. After I returned from the vet with her oral medication, I dosed her and put her back with the other two ducks in the run. This morning she is back to the labored breathing again. I put her back inside and gave her another dose of her medication. I can't get her to the vet until tomorrow afternoon since they are closed on Sunday. Does anyone have any care advise or know if it's common for relapse after such a fast recovery?

Did your vet check her for worms? I know that sometimes a parasite will invade the lungs and throat, causing difficulty breathing. Is she coughing too?

I don't think he checked her for worms. He was pretty sure its a respiratory infection. I have her in the hot, steamy bathroom. Not sure how long to leave her in there.

He gave her a Baytril shot on Friday and Monday. I've been giving her Baytril mixed with another med orally. The vet doesn't think shells make it due to her low weight. She is eating peas, worms, and feed. Still breathing hard though. She is very thin. I'm just praying she makes it.

He gave her a Baytril shot on Friday and Monday. I've been giving her Baytril mixed with another med orally. The vet doesn't think shells make it due to her low weight. She is eating peas, worms, and feed. Still breathing hard though. She is very thin. I'm just praying she makes it.

Will he show you how to tube feed?

-Kathy

Kathy, I'm going to ask him tomorrow. Coco is doing better today. She is eating worms like a champ. I made polenta with maple syrup for her, hoping it will help fatten her up. Not sure what else to feed her to get her weight back up.

The first thing I thought of was environmental mold. The respiratory infection, the fast recovery when removed from the environment then the relapse when she was put back. Even the low weight. I'm wondering if there isn't some small patch of fungus to which that one duck just happens to be particularly sensitive.

Back
Top Bottom