First Egg!!

ChickensMomma

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2015
Hammond, Indiana
I have three Red Sex Link Hens. They are 20 weeks old and one of them laid her first egg yesterday. Although I checked the coop late in the day due to work, I dont know who laid it. One hen is more bigger, plump and has the largest comb which I believe it was her. Is there any way I can find out? Today I found a second egg around 11a. Any certain egg laying schedule I should know about? That way I can find out who lays?

Last edited:
Congrats!

You can put some dye on her vent and see if it shows up on the eggs.

As for a laying schedule, a hen will lay an hour later each day until around the 5th to 7th day, when they skip a day and restart (I heard this, I'm not sure if its true0.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!

Congragulations!

I have six Red Sex Links as well, and I just got my first egg of the season last tuesday! I'm in the same boat though, since I have six, I cannot tell who laid what! So far, I've gotten seven eggs in just five days, because sometimes I get two eggs laid in a day from my red sex links! They are very good layers and never seem to get protective over their eggs, I have to say!

As far as the schedule however, the whole process of an egg developing and getting ready to be laid takes 25 hours, so they will lay an hour later everyday, give or take some time. Also, they do not lay at night time or dusk because that is a 'vulnerable' time period - so as Gitabooks said above - it's almost like they will skip a day and start over come morning time when they are ready! :)

Hopefully that'll help!

- Kryspel

Back
Top Bottom