Why are my chickens pecking me constantly?

Blackberry18

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2015
Minnesota
My chickens are my pets. They know who I am, and like to have attention. I usually like to sit up there and spend time with them, they like to to petted and even jump on my lap and shoulders sometimes. However, they've started pecking me. Mostly my Leghorns, they practically crave attention. My Barred Rocks and Sex-Links peck too, but not as consistently the Leghorns and it doesn't hurt as much. It doesn't make time spent with them enjoyable. I'll just be sitting there and the Leghorns will crowd behind me and peck and my arms and such. I understand when it's a freckle or shiny object they peck at, but it's not always like that. Do they want something? Feed? That the only reason I can think of, perhaps I'm not feeding them enough. They're not being territorial, because they get so excited when I come up to see them. What do you guys think?

When you say "perhaps I'm not feeding them enough" - how do you feed them? Chickens don't overeat basic feed (although they will gorge themselves on treats such as sweetcorn or bread), so the best way to be certain that they are getting enough food is to give them free access to feed 24/7. Make certain that you have enough feeding bowls for your birds - the ones at the top of the pecking order will tend to chase off the lower birds, so you need to have several bowls of feed in various areas of the pen / free ranging area, so that all of the birds can eat without being constantly chased off by the others.

It could also just be that your Leghorns are more attached to you. I have a bird that I have raised for the last two years - every time I sit down outside she pecks at my toes. She must know by now that they aren't edible, but that doesn't stop her trying!

My chickens do the same thing. Mine will jump up and pull on my shorts to get attention also.The other night I got pecked several times and some peck harder then others...it's usually because they think I'm going to have treats...I know they are getting enough feed.

Thanks everyone! I've done a little research, and am trying to correct their behavior by not jerking away when they peck me (so that they do not become more aggressive and try to come above me in the pecking order) and then doing sharp little "pecks" on their heads when it hurts (to show them who's boss).

I get the same thing, they peck at my pant legs and shoes. And I've quickly learned to not wear shorts in their run! They don't want to be pet or held from me either, but they do know I'm the treat lady, so I guess that's what they want. I wonder if they are curious as to what I am as well?

I get the same thing, they peck at my pant legs and shoes. And I've quickly learned to not wear shorts in their run! They don't want to be pet or held from me either, but they do know I'm the treat lady, so I guess that's what they want. I wonder if they are curious as to what I am as well?
Probably. I read this article about how chickens have emotions like humans; love, sadness, joy, depression, jealousy, curiosity, etc.

That is so sad
1f622.png

Back
Top Bottom