Sick keet

staube1

Hatching
Aug 3, 2015
I have two 2-3 week old keets...one lavender, one pied. I have them in a cage inside the chicken coop, during the day, and then in the house at night with a heat lamp. So far they seem energetic, chasing bugs inside their cage, eating chick starter, and drinking fine. Yesterday I noticed that the pied is almost twice the size of the lavender. Then today I noticed that the pied had one wing sticking out from its body a little bit. So when I picked them up to bring them in for the night, I was checking the wing when I noticed that it's whole body felt like a water balloon, and the side affecting the wing looked very swollen. I then remembered that last night this keet kept opening his mouth and stretching his neck (gasping, choking, or trying to talk, I don't know). I have searched for hours on the internet and even contacted the breeder, but can't find any answers. The lavender keet seems fine.

I'm not an expert by any means, but when my keets were what I thought was sick, I used Red Cell and they bounced back great. Mine weren't actually sick, just a vitamin deficiency. They wouldn't walk and had problems with their wings, but not the water balloon symptom you are describing.

I wish you the best and hope someone more qualified sees and responds to this!

What food and bedding are you using? Is the keet eating and drinking? The wing thing could just be the feathers growing in. Mine are the same age and a few have wing feathers that look pretty silly sticking out so it looks like the wing is injured. It's not uncommon.

I will buy some Red Cell today, thanks for the advice. As for their bedding, in the cage during the day I put fresh grass in every morning, and they have pine shavings for their pet carrier at night. Yesterday the pied ran around chasing bugs, doesn't seem to have any leg problems, is still swollen but mostly just on the one side now. The breeder said he had never seen this and maybe the keet got bit by a spider or stung by a wasp. Thank you both for your help!

TSC was out of the Red Cell, but I did go ahead and get them some wild game starter and an electrolyte and probiotic for their water. The pied is still swollen, but not quite as much, otherwise they seem fine, chasing bugs all day, eating, and drinking. Thank you for asking!

The game bird starter and dumor chick starter (NOT starter/grower) are both 24% protein. I have been feeding mine that and they shoot up like weeds and it is much cheaper. By week two they were going through almost a whole ten pound bag a week, so that's something to consider. I finally broke down and bought a 50# bag. I top feed with the ultra kibble for chicks (44% protein)

Back
Top Bottom