What to do with an aggressive rooster?

Angela1981

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
I've kept chickens for a few years but I've always had all pullets. Late last year my flock was decimated by predators and I had to add some new birds. I bought a dozen chicks from Rural King. They were all supposed to be pullets but you know how that goes. Somehow I ended up with two roosters...a Welsummer and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. Both are beautiful birds but the SLW Roo is an absolute JERK. He attacks me EVERY SINGLE TIME I go in to the run whether it's to feed, water or clean. The girls have just started laying (we got our first new egg yesterday!) and I'm trying to keep a close eye on things because it's been so darned HOT here...but these roosters are making it so that no one wants to mess with the chickens.

I have two young grandchildren (5 year old boy and 2 year old girl) and they have always enjoyed helping with the chickens, gathering the eggs/feeding, etc. but I can't even let them in the run now because I'm scared the rooster will hurt one of them badly.

I don't raise my birds for meat and honestly I can't bear the thought of consuming one of the birds I've raised but I just beat the SLW roo off of me with a broom and I'm covered with scratches on my legs. I don't think I could even catch him because I'm scared of him.

Any suggestions? I've put them up for sale on a local livestock forum for $10 but so far no takers. I'm ready to make them free just to see if someone will come and take them off my hands.

I hate to say it but some birds have a stew label taped to their back
cases like these you have to say "why am I putting a single rooster over my hens, grandchildren and myself" he is causing harm to you and others and pawning him off to someone else is spreading the problem if you cant eat him then kill him bury him and call it good he is a threat to everyone even your hens at this point you cant even go in there to check on the rest of them what if one of the hens has a problem? You cant see it because your too busy fending off the rooster.

Not making you the bad guy I feel for you but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do
hugs.gif

Mean birds taste best. But if you can't do it then list them for free to get them out of there. In the meantime do you have a crate or some way to separate (spare fencing?) them from the pullets?

No...you're right. He's got to go. I guess I just need to find someone to come over and dispatch him for me. I can't have him jeopardizing the health of the flock or disrupting what was once a very fun activity for the whole family. My daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren live with me and my husband. We've always enjoyed the chickens and taking care of them is part of the five year old's "chores." Except right now the grown ups have to do the chores with one of us standing guard while the other sees to the needs of the flock.It isn't a good idea to turn your back on this guy.

But you're also right that it isn't fair to pass the problem to someone else...although I was very clear in my ad that this roo is aggressive. Maybe I can find someone that wants him as a meat bird so that he doesn't go to waste.

Gah. I hate this part of raising animals!

These decisions are truly the hardest we had to put down a 4 month old chick due to crossbeak a week ago and it wasn't easy
hugs.gif
its not easy getting rid of something perfectly healthy (for the most part)

Get rid of him before he spurs you. I gave my GSL rooster too many chances and last may he spurred me on both legs to the bone. Had to go to the ER (was on a Saturday am) to get antibiotic shot and prescription for antibiotics and pain. By that evening I was back in the ER due to pain and swelling which put me on crutches for two days. I have a BO rooster that came with my new RIR chicks that I purchased last January from Ideal. The first time he comes at me, he's gone. I will not go through that again.

Four months is still young but I still add sea salt to soak the bird for 24 hours. A brined bird is so good but don't let it soak longer than a day as it will be too salty and be reminiscent of the jerky when walking around. That's a bad bird and the trick to making them good is a sea salt brine for 24 hours.

I agree 100% with posts above.

Now for a little practical help in the HOW.

The best way:
Wait till dark, get a pal to go with you. Wear long sleeves, and pants and take a towel, a flashlight and a cage or a box. Now the pal holds (flip a quarter to decide who is the pal;) the flashlight pointed at the ground. Just enough light so you can see, but not enough to wake the flock up. The other person holds the towel near each end of the lenght of the towel. Reach up with both hands, and clasp the rooster over the wings firmly, so that the middle of the towel is over his head. Remove from the roost, and place in cage. The rest of the flock will hardly notice, and it will be a pretty calm, slick capture.

The Desparate way: Causes a bit more havoc, but will capture a bird in the middle of the day.
Use a large fishnet, once you get it over his head (this part can be tricky, and a lot of flying feathers) but once you do, stand on the handle. Now the roo will flap pretty wildly, but once they can't move, they almost always calm down. Again cover with a towel snuggly and place in cage. BEWARE of picking up the net, without a good hold on the rooster, or you will have to start over again... been there, done that.

I have been so at witts end, that once I caught him, while I am standing on the handle, someone else lets the layers out, and without taking him out of the net, I have slit his throat. Now really, you would think that would be enough, but once I had a real @#$$ and I was sure I had it done, and he got up and walked away. So be very sure. As in wait awhile... a good while.

If you can't eat it, burry it and plant a rosebush, it will make you smile each year.

Mrs K

Thank you. That was very helpful! I've listed him on a local Livestock forum on Facebook with complete details of his a$$hattery. I don't want anyone to take him thinking he's a nice little rooster or being swayed by his pretty face only to find out he's an abusive jerk! If someone doesn't want him for a meat bird (just because I hate waste), then we will do it ourselves and bury him. I'll just have to put on my Big Girl Newbie-Farmer Pants and get the job done. But I do have a large dog crate so I'm going to set that up and we will attempt to capture him tonight after everyone goes to bed. If nothing else, it will segregate him from the rest of the flock and let me determine exactly how aggressive the other rooster is. So far the other rooster (named Steve) watches and approaches me but has never flown at me or attacked me...not that he's had a chance. Chanticleer has been doing a pretty darned good job on his own. I wouldn't mind to keep Steve as flock protection if he can control himself but if it looks like he's going to go the way of Chanticleer, well then we'll have two new rose bushes, won't we? ;)

I'm looking forward to reclaiming my flock.

Back
Top Bottom