VERY LOUD Bantam Hens

Jhs51684

Songster
8 Years
Mar 29, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi,

It's my first time raising chickens and I have 4 bantams. I started with 6, but 2 were roosters so I found them a new home. I live in a small community and the houses are close. These bantams are a smaller breed so I thought they would be quieter and easier to deal with per my surroundings. They are just about 4 and 1/2 months old and now, out of nowhere, they're getting incredibly loud. Around 6 a.m. I am awoken by loud squawking. It's incessant and if I can hear it, there's no doubt my neighbors can hear it. They have plenty of food and water, so I'm not sure if this is normal or if I'm missing something. They seem healthy and happy. Is this typical? Or perhaps are they roosters and I'm just now realizing it. It was apparent that I had 2 roosters at about 2 months of age, as they began crowing and they had a different build. I really don't think the remaining 4 are roosters. Please help, if this is typical then I may have to give up raising these hens (which I really don't want to do).

Thanks community!

Yep, hens make noise too...sometimes ear splitting, annoying as heck noise.
Something may have alarmed them, any pests or predators around?
Chances are your girls are coming into their reproductive maturity and learning to vocalize that fact.

They may quiet back down some after they start laying, or at least do it for a shorter duration each day.
They may also be vocalizing because it gets you to come out of the house and let them into the run or give them a treat or just pay attention to them.

What type of bantams are they?

I love bantams, and have found that some Old English Games (even hens) can be on the noisy side at times. My bantam Cochins and especially d'Uccles are very quiet.

I'm thinking of getting some of these were is a good place to just get a couple eggs still need to check my local feed stores to

Ok cool thanks are they loud or not everyone has a different opinion on it so are they louder then quail
My bantams are a bit on the loud side. Although I have isolated 1 (of 4 total) that seems to be loudest. I bring it into the garage if it's getting out of hand to spare my neighbors. They're bantam hens and they're pretty small (size of a large quail), but being that small their noises are high pitched shrills. You may get lucky and not have a loud and proud leader of the pack. I suspect that is why there is 1 specifically very loud hen. Keep in mind if you're looking for eggs, their eggs are half the size of a normal, store bought egg. But they do lay frequently and the taste is excellent. You just need to have 2 eggs to equal 1 normal sized.

Jhs thanks I might give it a try my quail just started laying and the only one that is making noise is my male but it's a very small noise their eggs are great takes a few of them for a meal thou

Back
Top Bottom