Hand turning made easy

EJA1

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2015
PA
I made these wooden egg turners today. Just lay the whole thing over from side to side to turn up to 10 eggs at once. This should cut down on the amount of time I have the bator open.

Just curious as to what type of wood that is? I'm wondering how the moisture in the wood would effect the humidity. You and I both know this, but using treated wood may have some negative effects on the quality of the air in the incubator.
Let us know how this works in your incubator.
James

The wood is just a $3 2x4 from Lowes, probably pine. The wooden egg holders are now in use in my incubator. The first 24 hrs, I did not add any water to the bator and the humidity was 36%. This morning I added some water and the humidity came up to 43%. So far, I'm pretty pleased. It only takes about 15 seconds to turn 52 eggs. We hand turn 3x a day. I do plan on taking the eggs out of the holders for lockdown when the humidity needs to be high. As long as I can maintain humidity in the 40's for 14 days, I'll be happy.

Well, the results are in. I used the wooden egg holders for turning, then removed the eggs for lockdown on day 14. I had 25 quail hatch (most on day 17) out of 52 (shipped) eggs. I'd call it a success. I'll be using them again.

Back
Top Bottom