Wondering if I should switch over to water nipples

How do I introduce the nipples to a new flock?
U use vertical nipples on a cooler as it's HOT here. I read a bunch of threads here on how to teach them. Everything said just take the other waterers away, so that's what I did. They were attracted to the red and curious, once one bird tried it the rest took right to them. I only took the other waterer away overnight for a few days until I was positive they were all eagerly drinking from the nipple system as I was worried about the heat. They enjoy the cool water.

I use the small waterers (like, feed store waterers) with the chicks. As soon as they are strong enough to peck the nipples and extract water, I remove the feed store waterer.

For the chicks, I use a 2' length of 4" PVC pipe. The bottom is capped and solvent-welded. I use three of the Solway horizontal nipples spaced 90 degrees apart (one in the 'middle', one each on either side). The top has another cap, but I keep it on loosely. If you cap it too tightly, it can create a vacuum to the point the nipples won't dispense water. With this system, the waterers stay clean, and I only need to refill maybe once a week.

For juveniles and adult birds, I use the same horizontal nipples but with a 5 gallon bucket. I use one of the 'Gamma' lids that screws on. Again, you have to watch for too much vacuum. In the summer, I can get a bit of algae growth in the buckets, but that is just a reminder that the buckets themselves are due for cleaning (soapy water with a brush, then a bleach wipe-down).

In summary, yes, go with the nipples. You will save HUGE on water. Remember, with the nipple system your water is in a closed system - you will lose nothing to evaporation. Here in the South, that equates to massive savings (both on money and labor) during the summer months (and spring...and fall...hahahaha).

Back
Top Bottom