Northern Michigan

SamiLexi

In the Brooder
May 11, 2015
So I live in Northern Michigan. We get get snow and sometimes lots of it! Last couple of years it been colder than normal too. That said I need to know how to winterize my 3 ducks? Please and thank you!

I'm in south central Wisconsin and we have similar weather. The last two winters we have had multiple days fifty below zero.

So, what we are doing is super insulating the coop. Stocking up on straw and hay to lay down on the snow for the real cold days as protection to their feet. Also, plan to use stock tank heaters or aquarium heaters to keep the water from freezing so fast.

We're in new England and also had a couple of 50 below days last winter and months of not even being able to see the ground due to the snow cover (usually it melts in between snows).

This will be our first winter with ducks.

I started weaning my girls off fresh clipped greens in their dabbling bowl & transitioning them over to rehydrated alfalfa cubes in case this coming winter is just as snow covered and cold.

I'm researching ways to heat water without electricity in case we do lose power.

Hello, I would like to be in on this thread also, I am in Madison WI and will winter new ducks this year (they will be 8-9 months old by november).
Where does one get alfalfa cubes in WI? Anyone fed their ducks oatmeal as a supplement to layer feed?

I'm not in WI but I was able to get alfalfa cubes and pellets in TSC in the horse aisle. You may have other livestock feed stores available in your area.

My girls love oatmeal for a supplement or side treat. If I'm offering human oatmeal, I offer either old-fashioned rolled oats or steel cut oats because that's what i keep for the humans to eat.

I offer whole oats still in the "shell" when i offer livestock food. They love this too,

I also planted a very small plot of oats and other native grasses for a green manure/cover crop. They loooooved walking through that plot and eating all the ripe oats.

Back
Top Bottom