what do you do with your poo?

hleone

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2015
im just not sure how it all works...
we have pine shavings in our hen house and nesting boxes and hay on our run floor.
the plan is to scoop the poo out of the hen house and onto the run floor every other day or so then turn the run hay over once a week.
what other options are there? compost bins?

im just not sure how it all works...
we have pine shavings in our hen house and nesting boxes and hay on our run floor.
the plan is to scoop the poo out of the hen house and onto the run floor every other day or so then turn the run hay over once a week.
what other options are there? compost bins?

I dry the poo and put it directly on the garden and flowers/bonsai.

Last edited:
How does one dry the poo? Does it have to be by itself or can it be with the shavings? I've been wondering about this as well.

I use straw so it does not need to be separated. Shavings might have a negative effect on many plants so I would advice separating it as much as possible. I scrape the coop a couple times a week. If this is fairly dry I use it as is. Wet bedding is sun dried first and then put on the plants.
Any type of fertilizer should be kept off stems and leaves so the plant does not burn.

Last edited:
You may want to rethink using straw if you are wanting to compost. Straw is always the last thing to break down in my compost pile. It sticks around for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom