Sparks, Nevada (pro-chicken) zoning code changes moving forward to City Council!

cluckless

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
I started a new thread because the original was a mess of "maybe" information. This thing is actually really truly moving forward with little fanfare and little to no oppposition that I've heard.
The first reading of the brand spiffy new city zoning code occured at the August 10 City Council meeting. The second reading, public comment, and possible action is scheduled for the August 24 meeting. The date is subject to change, but likely not by much.
If approved, residents could keep one hen per 1000 sq ft, up to 6 hens. Coop setback only 5 ft off property line. The code change also allows for up to 2 bee hives, also 5 ft off property line.

I've been so busy, I simply forgot to post an update about this. Sorry! At the August meeting, the city council voted on the entire new city zoning code EXCEPT the new Urban Agriculture section. The main part of the new zoning code passed as it was expected to, but since there were only 3 of the 5 councilmen present, they opted to pull the Urban Ag section and a related section concerning feral cats to bring up at a later meeting.

The first reading for those sections occured a couple of weeks ago, but I was not able to get out of work to go. I honestly don't know how ithe public commentary part went but since it was a first reading, no action was taken by the council. The second reading and possible action will take place at the city council meeting this coming Monday, starting at 2 pm. I will likely be there at least to watch, but there will be a public commentary time if anyone wants to be heard.

I'll post again after the meeting ASAP.

You can also provide writted testimony to the City Clerk prior to the meeting. That email should be on the Sparks website

I hope you all are reading this because....

The Urban Agriculture section of the zoning code PASSED UNAMINOUSLY!

Yes, that means we can have chickens in Sparks.:D

There is a set of loose restrictions, so please read the zoning code first!

Back
Top Bottom