Beavercreek, Ohio

AmyOH123

Hatching
Aug 12, 2015
Hello! We are currently buying a home in the city of Beavercreek. As I understand it, chickens are not allowed within the city, the city council recently were to vote on it, but removed the chicken portion of the ordinance prior to voting. Does anyone know what is going on with this? Is the issue dead, or are people still working on getting it to a vote? The most recent I've found in the news online was from 2012. I'm also unable to find anything locally or online, even a Facebook group. Would someone please point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Hi There,
Yep, we just got busted for having 4 spoiled rotten hens. :-( Meeting with the city manager of Friday if you're interested.
The law still stands, but hasn't been reviewed since 2012. The last vote was 3-2!
Aloha,
Jim and Pam

Hi There, I'm new to the site and after living here in Beavercreek for the last 2 1/2 years we decided to work on being more self sustaining. My wife and I were considering either having Chickens or Bees in our spacious yard, (or possibly both). I got serious about it recently and decided to look up the ordinances here and was shocked to learn that we can't have chickens!!!??? We aren't too happy about that. Whats also crazy is that when we lived in nearby Dayton we could have chickens as long as their coop was located away from dwellings. We moved from the city to the country and we can't have chickens.

Well, I'd like to know if anyone has gotten anywhere with the powers-that-be to change the ordinances in Beavercreek.

Look forward to hearing good news soon.

-Steven & Joy

Well, things are happening. The outlook is good from the last planning commission meeting. The motion was tabled to add detail, but chances of passage look good. Please join us for the next meeting and encourage the powers to do the right thing. Just got back from Florida and still getting settled.
I think the idea that chickens are strictly barnyard animals is changing.
Jim & Pam

Yes, things are definitely happening. Next planning commission meeting (I believe is the first Wednesday of June), they will be finalizing the language of the new code and voting on it. Support would be welcome (or just a letter to the commission). I think the tide is turning in favor of chickens.

I dont have all the details but YES! We are now allowed to have chickens in beavercreek! Now I can enjoy my poultry without being paranoid!

Celebration is a bit premature. :-( The proposed code change passed the planning commission, but now must get approval from Beavercreek Council. It's a positive sign, but not clear sailing. I plan a vigorous defense at the public hearing before the council, but no guarantees. Also, the code as written requires a lot size of 15,000 feet, and a permit from the city AFTER they inspect your coop. Also, as written, it has a one year sunset where the issue will be again argued before the council. Too many complaints and the code change may get withdrawn. Sorry to be a wet blanket. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom