Parakeet lifespan?

Arztwolf

Songster
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
SW Texas
I've read on different sites/in books that keets can live to be 10+, while other places say 3-5. Is it sort of like the "hatchery chicken vs.chicken from breeder" thing?

My three are from Petsmart and Petco (no where else to get them here) and are fed a balanced diet and allowed to fly around their room all day.

It really does depend on the type of lifestyle your parakeet has :) sounds to me like they have a lovely life. I'm sure they will live a long time..my friend had a blue parakeet that lived to be 9 years old so anything is possible. 9 years is quite a good life for a parakeet :)

English Budgies tend to live shorter lives than their American Budgie Counterparts. I'm not really sure why. An American Budgie can live up to 15 years of age. An English Budgie's life span is normally 5 to 8 years. If they are healthy then they will live out a long, healthy life normally.

I have had keets for years. PetSmart and PetCo usually say between 10 and 20 years. I have a keet who is 12 and going strong!

What brand of food do you feed your keet? Mine get a blend of ZuPreem and a regular seed mix. I feed the ZuPreem since they refuse to eat fruit/veg, no matter what size, shape, color it is.
roll.png

What brand of food do you feed your keet? Mine get a blend of ZuPreem and a regular seed mix. I feed the ZuPreem since they refuse to eat fruit/veg, no matter what size, shape, color it is.:rolleyes:

I feed my Budgie boy the same diet as you. Although he waits until we add seed to his feed bowl and seems to pick that out. He demands a seed refill twice a day (when I feed the dogs). :rolleyes:
Kids! They won't touch veggies with a ten foot pole!

My great aunt had a 20 yr old one. Her apartment was kept at about 80 all yr long though. It could answer the phone and carry on a conversation.

I feed my Budgie boy the same diet as you. Although he waits until we add seed to his feed bowl and seems to pick that out. He demands a seed refill twice a day (when I feed the dogs).
roll.png

Kids! They won't touch veggies with a ten foot pole!

Yeah, tell me about it! Mine have decided they no longer like the Zupreem and will now only eat the cheap seed, veggie and fruit mix.
he.gif

Hi,

I'm a bit of a bird expert and I think I can help you with your question. Parakeets usually live for 12 - 13 years however there have been known cases for them to live up to 20 years. I hope this is able to help you.

-Pekin Bantam-

Back
Top Bottom