New coop Progress updates and pics

MistyMountain

Songster
10 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Virginia
Well, I've managed to keep chickens alive for two years now. We've had predator losses by various predators, 4 broody hen hatches, mastered the art of first aid and performed bumble foot surgery. All this while with the chickens living in a "temporary coop." We've had the lumber for my big permanent coop for almost the entire time, but between August 2013 and now, life happened. I think we've done well.

So, here we are and my days of cleaning out the track and fighting with the sliding doors on a metal shed are limited!!

You can imagine by this point I had come up with a list of do's and don'ts on my coop design. The biggest thing was that I wanted it to be wide open on the inside. No obstacles. I can fly in, turn litter under the roosts and get out. Another reason I wanted it to be open and more shed-like is because I do not like single-purpose buildings. Should the day ever come (oh forgive me) that I get out of chickens, I want to still be able to use this building.

-Measurements: 10' x 10, because, you know, you get the most out of a square building.

-Two windows facing out (I got at a yard sale for $10) that will have hardware cloth on the outside. One human door and two pop doors. One pop door will enter the run. The other will be on the opposite side and will also be used to push old bedding out into the bucket of the tractor to be composted once or twice a year. This outer pop door will also be used for free ranging. The run will be a shared run with my mini broody coop, so I wanted a second exit option. Dual purpose=awesome.

-Vents all the way around under the eves covered in hardware cloth and also at the gable ends.

-Single roosts down both sides. I may double the back side in the future, but at this point this will be more than enough.

-6 nest boxes, stacked 3 on top of 3 on the inside of the coop, but with outdoor access on the back side (right side in pictures, with 2' overhang).

I think that's about it for now. Quick pic of the interior layout below. Progress pics to follow! Super excited!!!
wee.gif

Last edited:
Well, we had a break for a few days due to rain and work. This time of year gets super busy for us.

Yesterday DH finished the bracing on the backside of the coop and put up the board and batten. I spray painted the hardware mesh to go over the windows. Big job, I know!

DH hopes to work on trim and the rest of the roof this evening, if work, weather, and family will allow.

I just can not wait for this to be complete! I have allowed my current broody and her seven 5 week olds to free range with the main flock the past two days. She hatched and raised the chicks in her own broody coop and run up to this point. The first night she took them back into their coop. Last night she decided they would move back into the big coop. Yikes. I could see a recipe for disaster. I let her stay in there, but had them go into a medium sized dog crate that was still hanging around from the last in-coop broody hatch. They are hanging out with everyone in the run today, hopeful peacefully. This broody hen is quite the protector. All my other hens would allow me to touch the chicks. Not Wanda. Noooo way.

I'm going to have to make some big decisions soon. My last two hatches were full of cockerels and after losing my mean old rooster to a dog or fox last month, I need someone to take his place. My current rooster is just OK. I do not trust him to truly protect, though. He avoids me, is kind to the chicks, and sounds the alarm for danger, but I am almost positive he would push someone else in front of him if the flock was ever truly in danger. I have 7 up and coming youngsters right now, but only have my eye on 4 of them. Need more room!! Good news is that the broody coop is vacant in the winter… so it is a great bachelor pad for young roosters!!

Pics to follow...

I had to throw in a pic of these goof balls. Three potential leader of the flocks and one sweet little pullet. The white one has the best chance of having genes from my beloved mean old Willie Roo who died last month protecting his flock. The lighter buff type one is mostly EE and quite friendly. The other darker red is probably all EE (or as "all" EE as it gets, really) so I have hopes he will not only be pretty, but also carry the blue egg gene. Ahh decisions decisions.

Last edited:
Not much work done yesterday. Work and family stuff got in the way. The other side is almost ready to put the metal on the roof. We are re-thinking which side to put the door/run and nest boxes. We may swap the two. A benefit will be that the run will be nicely shaded by the persimmon tree and we won't need as many steps to get in the people door. It won't really change the plans, just swap the two opposite walls.

More work tonight, hopefully!

The other side of the roof went up yesterday, with exception of the last piece. We have changed our minds and think we will do the run on the oposite side now. More shade from the persimmon tree and less of a step up into the coop.
Excuse the mess, we have a couple boys who plan to pick up the pieces and earn some money!

This side was originally going to have the pop door and human door, with outdoor nest box access on the other side. We have swapped the two and this side will now be nest box access.

Roof!! Yay!!

Looking through the coop, the run will be off the opposite side, under shade of the tree. We have some tree line clearing to do and firewood to move up near the house, but that will be easy work. The run is going to be around 10 x 20, which should be plenty in combination with our daily free ranging.

Last edited:
A bit more progress last night. Got 1/2 of the roof completely done. Added the ridge cap and rake trim along the end. Gonna move quick once this roofing business is done! You may notice some building inspectors in there... they have given approval since day one!! I guess they are pleased with the addition of the under-coop day spa!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom