Identifying predator

gdcfarm15

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2015
Sadly, the other morning we came out to find our Rouen drake with his head, neck, and spine gone. His body was left in the middle of their pen. There were feathers everywhere to show he put up a fight. as we were cleaning everything up we found pieces of his head. Any idea would could of done this? We've never had a problem! Our chickens would go in at night but the ducks would stay out.. Since then we put the all up at night. We've set traps and haven't caught anything.

My guess is raccoon or weasel. They will rip off their heads and leave them for dead. Feathers everywhere. Keep the traps set. We have "have a heart" traps out by our coop. They are set almost every night. When a predator finds a good meal, they will be back for more.

Good luck and sorry about your drake.

That's what we were thinking. We've searched and it says the best things to catch a raccoon is marshmallows or sardines. It was truly sad, our female Rouen was stressed. They were the best of buddies. We ended up getting her another buddy. Ended up with another drake and another female.
1f604.png

After any attack my chickens have not been themselves. When DHs dog attacked them once, it took about a month before they were back to "normal".

My chickens seem normal.. My female Rouen seemed lost but she's getting back to normal. The new ducks really help her.

Do you have a game/trail camera? This will help you know who, what and what time your predators were in your yard. Good luck.

No we don't have a game camera. We do have a camera system in our house but when it's dark out we can't see that far out. We've talked to our neighbor and the only things he has picked up on his game camera is deer, opossums, and raccoons. We are going with a raccoon.

So an update.. Yesterday we found a opposum in our trap.. Turns out it was momma with 5 babies in her pouch. But I do not think she was the one to kill our duck.. She was half the size of him.. Thinking she was just passing through and was hungry enough to go in the trap. So still at a lost. My neighbor hasn't seen a raccoon or anything for that matter in his camera for about a week. So hopefully whatever it was is now gone..

Yeah we figure it will. So we reset the traps and continue to put all the ducks at night..

Back
Top Bottom