I'm a little mixed up

cluckinhotel

Hatching
Jul 1, 2015
Hopefully some one can help me? I've got 14 birds all together. Back in April I bought them from tsc, wish they had the birds labeled an organized better. At first just bought four layers. Shortly after went in to get a bag of feed an they had a big blow out sale to get rid of the last bunch of birds. I ended up getting 10 more "meat birds" the lady told me they were Cornish rocks. I looked at pictures of them on Google an thought they were goin to be all white when the were full grow. But of course that is not the case. For the most part all the birds look the same. Anyways to my point, me delema here is now I dont know who's giving me the eggs and who's heading to the block this fall besides the ones I see in the box but I'm getting 6-8 eggs a day an would hate to put the wrong birds in the freezer. Really the only way I can tell who's who is by the combs I've got five or six mayb 7 with bigger floppy combs an one rooster out of the whole bunch. Any advice will help. Thanks

If u bought ur birds in April n this is almost Sept. now and you have never been able to tell a difference in them then u don't have meat birds. They are bred to be HUGE by the age of 2months. Can you divide ur coop n seperate birds? TSC has a habit of combining birds in a tub when they expect a new shipment. It doesn't matter what they are, the chicks look the same to some workers.

Last edited:
Well I figured it was goin t b that way. But thanks. Just wanted another opinion. My birds are free range with 24 he access to the coop an run. I thought about isolating the ones I assume are laying to the coop and run for a day away from the other birds an see how that goes. Just wanted to see if there was another way before I did it.

can you post photos of your birds? I ended up not butchering my meat birds (Cornish) and they turned out to be very good layers. They are white birds and give me light brown eggs. Separating might be the best way to go. The ones you think you want to keep, just separate them from the rest for a couple of days and see how many eggs you get from them. You can mark the keepers with a little food coloring before you let them all run together again.
Good luck.
Cheryl

Back
Top Bottom