Where are our guinea owners located?

chickbird

Songster
May 4, 2009
Is there a place where we can find where members are located. I would be nice to know in case we have members close enough we could share guineas and guinea eggs? Thanks If not maybe we could start here, I.m from Arlington,Ga.

North East corner of Illinois...

How do guineas do there in winter? I'm fairly new to raising them in south but in just a few months I've gone from 4 males and 2 females to over 50. I just love them. They are so different from anything else I've had. I have never seen anything that can run so fast and they are truly creatures that love a flock, except for the occasional misbehaving.

They are very winter hardy, but mine enjoy a climate controlled coop that is held at 35°-40°F all winter since I have a mixed flock of birds and some of those birds are not very cold hardy...

How do you keep your coop a semi-controlled temperature? I've noticed the bulb we have only raises the temperature about 5 degrees from the outside air, and that's in the summer... It's an uninsulated coop. And how do you deal with ventilation in the winter? There is 1 window that remains open, should I close it off or leave it open in the winter?

I'm in central Ohio and winters are hit or miss, some are mild, some are frigid.

My coop is not your average coop, it's more like a house and I have a furnace in my coop... You still need ventilation in the winter to remove humidity and ammonia...

If one chooses to heat it has to be done safely and properly, and there is a balance of ventilation vs retaining heat that has to be maintained...

It's generally not advisable for most people to heat their coop, especially small coops as the risk (especially fire) outweighs any benefits...

Back
Top Bottom