Feeding Meat Birds at Night rather than during the day

bpeters2

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Hi Everyone,
I'm thinking about Free ranging some Cornish x. I've read that its best to limit their feed to only 12 hours a day and most places I read recommend giving them access to food during the day and removing it at night. My goal is to have the chickens forage on pasture during the day and then come back to the coop at night (where I will shut door and protect from predators). I figure it might be best to feed them at night as an incentive to come back to the coop at night and so they forage more on pasture during the day (since they won't have feed available). Does anyone see any issue with this schedule? Will they receive adequate food if its only available for the 12 "overnight" hours? Thanks alot

I have been feeding mine at dusk +- and letting them loose from noon till dusk. I see no problem. This batch has a Silkey mom that we put the 25 meat birds under her after a hatching failure. Having a broody mom helps some with scratching and showing them where the bugs and stuff are located, This bunch is LESS piggy for reasons I cannot explain. I do like a older/bigger bird, so letting them run/walk around is needed for there health/leg problems, or so I think.

Back
Top Bottom