Can Quail Share Garage, But Not living Space, With Chickens?

kazslo

Hatching
Aug 24, 2015
I've read tons of posts on whether or not quail and chickens can live together. I agree with the group of NO people. However, I do want to ask what is the distance limit to the rule?

The new chicken coop I am building is essentially a sealed room in my detached garage with a hole in the wall to the outside run. Still working on ventilation. I would like to move my quail from my enclosed back porch/stairway into the garage if possible. Will this present a problem, even with the chickens not using the garage as a living space per-se? As I am planning, the only air exchange between the chickens and garage space will happen when I open up the doors to the nest areas and door to clean the floor/maintenance. Would this be too risky if the quail pen is within say 10ft? If so, being that the chickens have their run in the backyard, would housing the quail outside be too risky as well? FYI - this is a small 25x125 city property.

I've read tons of posts on whether or not quail and chickens can live together. I agree with the group of NO people. However, I do want to ask what is the distance limit to the rule?

The new chicken coop I am building is essentially a sealed room in my detached garage with a hole in the wall to the outside run. Still working on ventilation. I would like to move my quail from my enclosed back porch/stairway into the garage if possible. Will this present a problem, even with the chickens not using the garage as a living space per-se? As I am planning, the only air exchange between the chickens and garage space will happen when I open up the doors to the nest areas and door to clean the floor/maintenance. Would this be too risky if the quail pen is within say 10ft? If so, being that the chickens have their run in the backyard, would housing the quail outside be too risky as well? FYI - this is a small 25x125 city property.

I have had quail and other birds (chickens and others) in the same building but not sharing space with no problems. Quail outside depends on specie. I did not put them outside as I was too worried of escapes; there's little chance of catching an escaped quail.

If the space is ventillated it should be fine. Just remember to wash your hands between. Fair warning though quail poo has a ton of ammonia and nitrogen so it gets pretty strong.

My apologies - I could have sworn I replied earlier. I appreciate the responses. I built my small quail pen in the garage as planned, with the chickens in a separate built coop/room. If they catch a disease it will certainly be a shame and a lesson, and if I get into raising quail more and let them grow in number, I'll probably just build them something new outside to mitigate the risk.

Back
Top Bottom