Coop/run + Tractor?

DarkhorseFarmer

In the Brooder
May 11, 2015
Hampton, MN
I currently have a 10x10 coop with four nesting boxes, and plenty of great roosting space (4times what they currently use) with a 10x20 run attached. We have 16 chickens, including 1 rooster. What I have come to find is that even though my coop is big enough for 25 chickens, and the run, 20 chickens, the ground has become over worked. There is excess poop on the coop floor, and no greenery left in the run. While I can technically just feed them more store bought food, I would like them to keep a steady diet of greens other than what I throw in the coop. With that said, does anyone use a coop/run in conjunction with a tractor? I know manually putting them in a tractor could suck, but I think I could entice them. In addition, would loading 16-20 birds into a tractor be feasible or would I need to split them up? I realize that there could be some pecking issues reintroducing every day, so I want to be cautious of that. Please give me your thoughts. I'll post pictures shortly. Thanks!!

Last edited:
For poop in the coop, I'd utilize poop boards under the roosts and deep liter on the floor.

I agree the tractor would be labor intensive. Do you have more space to enclose as a run and cross fence for a rotational grazing system? Three pens is considered the minimum for this, and it would take a good amount of fencing and space. Failing that, maybe consider investing in electric poultry netting that can be moved to fresh graze.

I'm just thinking you're going to need a big ol tractor for 16 birds.

I wouldn't think you'd have many pecking order issues by having half the flock out for most of a day, it's not like taking one bird out for several days and trying to put her back in.

I agree with the deep litter for the coop too. Also you might try a couple of salad bars for the run, It won't solve all their greens needs but it will help.You can do a search on this forum for more information on constructing salad bars.

For poop in the coop, I'd utilize poop boards under the roosts and deep liter on the floor.

I agree the tractor would be labor intensive. Do you have more space to enclose as a run and cross fence for a rotational grazing system? Three pens is considered the minimum for this, and it would take a good amount of fencing and space. Failing that, maybe consider investing in electric poultry netting that can be moved to fresh graze.

I'm just thinking you're going to need a big ol tractor for 16 birds.

I wouldn't think you'd have many pecking order issues by having half the flock out for most of a day, it's not like taking one bird out for several days and trying to put her back in.

Can you direct me to a poop board design? I have attached pictures in my post above so that you can see my current roosting arrangement. You're right, most of the poop is right under the roost, as expected..

Might think about portable poultry netting, electrified or not, from Premiere One.

Look into Grazing Frames for growing greens in the run without them killing the plants:
http://www.thegardencoop.com/blog/2012/02/07/grazing-frames-backyard-chickens/

1/2" hardware cloth for grass-like leaved plants(sod and grains)
1 x 2" fencing for larger leaved plants.
When fresh planting seed I stack a second frame on top until roots are established or they pull the whole plant out.

I like the one at the top best and am converting the others over.
Ripped a half inch off the 2x4's and used it to cover mesh edges to avoid cut feet and subsequent infection (bumblefoot).

I love my roost boards, will increase your floor space in coop for winter too.

Might think about portable poultry netting, electrified or not, from Premiere One. Look into Grazing Frames for growing greens in the run without them killing the plants: http://www.thegardencoop.com/blog/2012/02/07/grazing-frames-backyard-chickens/ 1/2" hardware cloth for grass-like leaved plants(sod and grains) 1 x 2" fencing for larger leaved plants. When fresh planting seed I stack a second frame on top until roots are established or they pull the whole plant out. I like the one at the top best and am converting the others over. Ripped a half inch off the 2x4's and used it to cover mesh edges to avoid cut feet and subsequent infection (bumblefoot). [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] I love my roost boards, will increase your floor space in coop for winter too.
I love the idea for the grass. I'll have to do that this weekend! I'm still contemplating the best way to do the poop boards.

Back
Top Bottom