Broody scovy, most likely on nothin

Kleonaptra

Songster
7 Years
Oct 3, 2012
Western Sydney, Australia
So Gina went broody and I let her have it...I usually take the eggs immediately because I cant take the devastation when nothing happens. I either incubate myself or put them straight in the fridge. She hit 5 eggs the other day and seems to have stopped, built a beautiful soft downy nest. Candled today....all 5 clear. Absolutely nothin. She's been brooding about 2 weeks, I'll give her a bit more time but my heart has given up.

A call or call cross boy would be the father. I was actually hoping to see a mixture of both ducklings from her but she's very dominant so very rarely lets the drakes mount.
I think she's abandoned. This morning she wasn't in her nest she was on another corner of the shed investigating someone else's nest ( she's an egg stealer) and her nest was rumpled up with a couple of eggs kicked out. I got a new call drake a few weeks ago and she thought he was wicked cute and jumped him, I told her it doesn't work with the girl on top but I'm pretty sure that's why she thought it was broody time

Really? Only 30% I would have thought it to be better than that! Shed tucked all the eggs back in, fixed up the nest. I'll candle again in a few days.
Got another problem- the rooster keeps mounting her. How bad is this? I thought he was over it, I got him some new girls, busted him at it again this afternoon. I'm going to have to lock him up, aren't I

Really? Only 30% I would have thought it to be better than that! Shed tucked all the eggs back in, fixed up the nest. I'll candle again in a few days.
Got another problem- the rooster keeps mounting her. How bad is this? I thought he was over it, I got him some new girls, busted him at it again this afternoon. I'm going to have to lock him up, aren't I
If you want her to stay put on the nest and the roos is bothering her I think you may want to lock him up away from her anyway. My female Muscovy's probably wouldn't tolerate a roo mounting them while broody they can be pretty ruthless when it comes to their nest.

yeah only about 30%

If you want her to stay put on the nest and the roos is bothering her I think you may want to lock him up away from her anyway. My female Muscovy's probably wouldn't tolerate a roo mounting them while broody they can be pretty ruthless when it comes to their nest.

Its only in the afternoon feed time when she comes out for a quick bite. I just don't get it, she barely tolerates other ducks but lets the rooster on...she bends my mind into a pretzel!

Back
Top Bottom