Why wont my chickens go outside?

DirtHouseFarm

Hatching
Jul 29, 2015
We have 8 chickens, they are almost 4 months old. We added an outside fenced in area to their coop. There is a board with slates of it for them to climb through a window to get outside, and a board with slates on the outside for them to climb down. Yet, they wont. After we built it we put them outside and when night fell we had to go out there and put them back inside because they hid under the board to climb as opposed to climbing it. Could the board be at too much of an incline? Could it need the slates to be closer? I'm not sure why they wont go in and out.

Hey there,
Have questions :)

How long have you had the birds?
How long has it been since you installed the run?
Can you post a pic?

From my limited experience thus far with chickens, they really take some time to adjust to new things, especially structural changes. When I installed new roosts in my coop, they refused to use them for a couple weeks (even with me gently setting them on the roosts).

Also, chickens should be OK to step up to get into the coop. My chickens don't have steps per se, but rather have a couple of bricks acting as a step. They actually seem to prefer a "step" in lieu of a ramp. Mine have never liked using ramps, so I've opted to use steps instead.

Good to know about the steps. We put a ramp in place, and I was thinking maybe it's at too much of an incline.
We have had them since they were a few days old, but we just added the outside space about a week ago.
I'll get a pic a little later today.

My ramp is an pallet cut to size. My coop is about 3 foot off the ground. They use the pallet to get in, but normally just fly to the ground in the morning. I find food and water will get them adjusted. When you put your chickens up, put the food and water up with them. When you open the door in the morning, but to the food and water outside. They will get hungry enough to go explore and will get use to it quickly.

I think we need more info in order to help you out.

How long have they been stuck inside the coop without going outside?
How high is the coop off the ground?
How high is the window that the ramp goes to inside the coop?

Could it be that they cannot easily SEE outside so outside does not seem like an option for them?

My coop is on the ground but I have had raised coops. I think they need to be able to SEE that as an exit in order to USE it as an exit. They may need a pop door lower toward the floor of the coop.

Try nailing on a bit of that non-slip draw liner, the grippy stuff you can get in rolls.

When we first got our chickens they also refused to use the ramp.. They would all sit at the door with their faces poking out, but none would actually walk on it. They would sometimes fly in and out, but it was difficult and stressful for them.

I thought they were just getting used to new surroundings, but when I watched closely, I saw they were unsteady on the ramp (despite having many little ridges nailed in for grip). They would slip and slide and trip over.. I never knew chickens could be so clumsy!

First I used a staple gun and stapled clumps of straw all over the ramp. They loved the grip it gave them and immediately started using it! But over time they would peck out bits of the straw and leave the staples exposed. To avoid them hurting their feet I went for a bit of old towel instead. I just attached it firmly over the ramp (with the ridges/steps still attached).

They use it with no problem now, but if I take it off, they again refuse to step on the ramp! I just hose it down every once in a while and if it gets too pooey I rip it off and attached a new piece of towel or the non-slip draw liner material. Anything to give them a bit of grip.

Thanks for all the info.

First thing I think we need to do is add more grip to the ramp and/or moverwhelming the grips closer. Also need to check the ramp is x 2 the height. I've put them on it and they slip and slide. One of them will fly in and out but none use the ramp.
They are 4 months old today, they have only been outside if I've brought them out here and there.
The coop is a brick/concrete room in our barn.
My sister in law has the same set up and her ladies go in and out. I'm thinking outside of the grip issues ours just don't seem to know outside is "awesome" because they didn't have the option until now.

I've attached pictures.

Last edited:
The pics really help a lot.

My advise is to add more rungs to the ramp and move the food and water so any that want to hop up there have an unimpeded space to do so.

I think the angle is ok. Since it dead ends into a wall and the food and water are right there could be why they are not using the ramp (as well as it needs more rungs).

The one outside needs a larger platform for exiting and funny thing about chickens.... the running along the wall may be one reason they don't like it.

It would not take much work to make a larger platform both inside and outside. You could also try having it go down partway and then turn to go the rest of the way. I would make the platforms 2 foot by 3 foot minimum. That way no one gets shoved off easily.

Just my thoughts on it.

Back
Top Bottom