Swollen waddle. help

dg14

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 1, 2014
What type of bird , age and weight: Golden wyandotte, 4-6 pounds a little over 10 months.
2) What is the behavior, exactly: normal. a little itchy now that i've seen. but she has this swlling in her waddle. that is a bit firm.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? a few days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma: No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation: Maybe one of her buddies pecked her. her other chicken friend is a bit hard on her.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all her usual feed layena crumbles. and water..
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.Normal.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far: Nothing as of yet. im trying to figure that out.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? not sure
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post ;
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: shavings.

Yes, I agree, you should make an incision and squeeze out the contents. If she's scratching it, that means it's uncomfortable. Doing something about this will be doing your hen a favor, even if it's merely a harmless cyst. You can numb the wattle by rubbing an ice cube on it before you slice into it.

Wattles tend to bleed a lot, so have some corn starch or sugar handy to stop the bleeding. Then finish up by applying some antibacterial ointment.

I think its just a bite today.. today its moved a little but you can see part of her waddle is better than the other part. not sure what to think.

I think its just a bite today.. today its moved a little but you can see part of her waddle is better than the other part. not sure what to think.
She may have been stung by an insect?

I'd just keep a close eye on it and be ready to intervene of it looks worse or she starts behaving like she's ill.

Yeah. i mean its still there. hasnt changed much. shes still acting her normal self. she hates being picked up i had to spent 10 minutes trying to catch her to see. i dont think its anything serious. hahaha *fingers crossed*

Yeah. i mean its still there. hasnt changed much. shes still acting her normal self. she hates being picked up i had to spent 10 minutes trying to catch her to see. i dont think its anything serious. hahaha *fingers crossed*
Check it at night after dark with a flash light.....easy to catch them then ;-)

Today im convinced its a bite. its moved a bit. one side is okay the other is still a bit there.

Back
Top Bottom