Purebred Black Copper Marans Juveniles Dark Egg Layer Breeder Culls North Calif.

One Chick Two

Songster
Jun 13, 2013
We have some nice Black Copper Marans juvenile breeder's culls available. It is our line of Bev Davis and Wade Jeane crossed for color and darker eggs.

We are breeding toward SOP, and dark egg color as well. The juvies are nice- type has been extremely good. We've had nicely balanced coloring on older siblings. Mom and Dad are in the meadow photo.

Momma's egg color has been running about a 6 on the Maran's egg color chart, which is a nice color, and has been stable (Shown is her first egg, and eggs she laid as of May.).

We have to be picky to select our next years breeders, so some young must be removed- however, I felt these are just too nice just to cull, and should go to someone building a flock. We have pullets, and a bunch of cockerels around 1- 1 1/2 months old. They are living outside now.

The main issue I'm culling for is a tad bit of reddish feather mossiness in juvenile feathering (look at the side view of the single pullet.). We have previously test mated every one of our breeders for Wheaten, and all have tested out clean... So, this mossiness expression is overcoloring- a juvenile feathering phenomenon that goes away in the adult feathering. (No Wheaten.) I will eventually work this expression completely out.

Most of the pullets get pretty hackle color and long, solid bodies. The males usually have balanced color with little to no halo. Shank feathering is usually very good, a few may have a middle toe stub... however, it is better to have a bit more than not enough.

One could potentially breed these little ones, as adults should color out fine. You would choose the best from your group, get many feet on the ground, and then just select out any mossy chicks to cull.

Anyway, Juvies are $10. each- priced fairly as PQ although I believe they are better than that. I suggested if you are interested in cockerels, make sure to have plenty on hand--at least three, so you can cull down to the best. This is a breed that requires the finest male you can get your hands on. It takes many months to know who is best.

Many people compliment our males. We have a nice color hue balance, and mostly, wide, lower set tails (look at the older cockerels watching the juvies.).

Here are our chicks on their first day outside.

Local pickup preferred but will ship inside of California only.

Last edited:
When buyer have seen our juveniles in person, we have had positive responses, they have seemed to really like them. Most have requested additional pullets. So, due to overwhelming response, we have extended our breeding season for only one more month to meet the demand.

Some things recent buyers have remarked to me were...

How healthy, and solid bodied the babies are... big birds for the age, good weight... Nice type... Mama has very good color in her eggs (I show Mama's eggs from different times in her cycle)...Much darker body feathering than they were expecting (in a good way)... Very friendly, and calm birds... Sweet cockerel...They are chatty-- in a good way. (Note: I do interact daily with, and speak to my chickens... and they seem to respond as well. lol)

They get plenty of time outside in the sunshine, spring water, and healthy treats too. I spend extra effort with the males here daily to keep them happy and balanced, and the effort really pays off.

So, we are in our last batches now, so, if you are considering some nice Black Copper Marans juveniles for nice, for dark eggs in your egg basket or to add to make olive eggers, now is the time... before they are all gone.

Here's a recent group photo:

Here's a cute little pullet and cockerel enjoying one of the roosting bars.

All of these juveniles have roosts available and are being trained to use them at night. They are all off of medicated chick starter, and eat Flock Raiser, which has a good protein content for growing Marans.

Okay, I am down now to 10 nice pullets, and five cockerels.

These are little ones go fast, so, get your orders in soon.

How old are they now and are they still $10 each? How much for shipping and where are you located? Thanks!

Hi, and thanks for your inquiry.

There are some at 1 month old that are still $10.

6 weeks= $15

8 weeks=$ 20

However, we only ship within the state of California.

Thanks for asking.

Thank you for your speedy response. If you ever decide to ship to North Carolina please let me know. Wish me luck with my hunt for new bloodlines. :) it's not an easy task.

I know where you can find some nice birds that can ship to your area. Will PM.

Back
Top Bottom