water designs?

cpsmith02

Chirping
Jul 22, 2015
Westminster MD
My coop has a water bottle made out of a five gallon bucket with a hole in the bottom for a piece of pvc pipe to run along the side with watering nipples for the chickens to drink out of. It works great for the girls and my rooster but the temperatures are getting lower and lower everyday here. The water will freeze in that bucket so need to find some designs for a winter water supply that wont freeze in low temps. Can anyone help??

Last edited:
Do you use vertical nipples or horizontal nipples? I've heard the API 250D birdbath deicer (sold on Amazon) works well with horizontal nipples in the winter.

I have a setup for my rabbits that uses horizontal nipples. Heated water container with a high volume pump pump in it hooked to the pipe system so the water continually circulates and returns to the bucket. In extreme cold (teens Fahrenheit) the brass nipples still can freeze, however. At that point I switch to water bottles and change them a couple times a day. My system is around 60 feet long with 16 nipples, which is part of the issue. It is great that I can use one system to supply multiple levels of cages.

The pressure in the pipe never gets high since the return end is open.

There is a rabbit supply house that sells a heart wire that can be run inside the pipe as well. Check out Bass Equipment. I am not affiliated with them in any way, just like their equipment.

I'm guessing i have vertical nipples now having seen the horizontal ones...
roll.png

Horizontal nipples are much less susceptible to freezing as the seal remains submerged in the warm water.
....and they drip less.
I'm going to look into getting horizontal nipples then because they look like they work better. Are there any brands you would recommend or places to get them?

Back
Top Bottom