duck with swollen ankle

ahirstein

Hatching
Aug 28, 2015
My duck has a swollen ankle and does not want to put weight on it and it feels warm to the touch. I also noticed a couple small sores with a little of swelling around them on the feet.

My duck has a swollen ankle and does not want to put weight on it and it feels warm to the touch. I also noticed a couple small sores with a little of swelling around them on the feet.

Can you get them into some clean water? I would put her in a bathtub with some lukewarm water. Just enough to let her float and take the weight off. This will also help clean the wound.

Try adding some Epsom salt to the warm bath water, but don't let the duck drink the water. It has the effect of a laxative. Also, if it's warm to the touch that indicates infection, which requires antibiotics.

I'll tag some members that know about antibiotics.

@Miss Lydia
@jtn42248
@JadeComputerGal
@needlessjunk
@caesargirl
@WVduckchick

I'd soak her leg or legs since it's easier if you do both legs, What I do is mix the Epson salt and nice warm water stir good to mix then hold the duck and put both legs down into the solution keep holding on to her for at least 5min or longer 1cup of ES to 1 gal of nice warm water, at least once a day until swelling go down and temp in leg feels like the other one I'd also pick up colorless iodine and after soaking treat the area with the Col iodine needs to be colorless but make sure to cover all the sores if it's bumble infection shouldn't take long for the scabs to appear then you can remove them and pick out the bumble with a pair of sterile tweezers. But you need to treat asap because bumble is staff and can cause the infection to spread and can cause death eventually. If you feel the infection has already spread then a good vet will start around of antibiotics. Keep the duck on clean bedding and in a small area so she/he isn't having to use the leg much for now.

What Miss Lydia said. And colorless, also called clear or white iodine or yodo blanco is what works - not brown iodine.

And it can take five or more days for the clear iodine to work. Dark scabs appear and then you soak the feet again, to loosen the scab, and try to pull it off gently. If it won't come off gently, drop a couple more drops of clear iodine on it, and wait another few days. Eventually the scab and the yuk should pull off.

Back
Top Bottom