Building coops inside an unused riding arena

vickivail98

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 12, 2010
Southern Michigan
Hello, we're buying a house that comes with a 60x120 Clearspan brand riding arena and I'd like to use one end of the shelter to house 20 chickens this winter. In spring I would need to add more spaces for probably 100 broilers and at least 2 breeding pens (trios or quads). The shelter is a prefab hoop shaped kit set on solid 3'high walls. It's white and semi opaque (not dark or greenhouse-ish). The ceiling is domed and since it 60' across its VERY high in the center. My main questions are 1- if I build solid interior partitions up to 6-8 feet and then add a couple feet of poultry fence on top of that is there a reason the pens can't be open on top? If I get really lazy/cheap and just use wire welded fencing to create the interior pens would my chickens be stressed out? Do they need privacy (from other flocks)? ive been thinking about allowing them to all range together except during breeding season, how stressful is it for them to be reintegrated into the main flock every year? If I pull out my chosen breeders should I just cull them at the end of breeding season instead of trying to reintegrate them?
Except during the very coldest part of winter (in Michigan) all birds will be on pasture during the day. We have 10 acres and so far they are the only ones utilizing the space.
I know this is all over the place but I just can't decide the best way to get started while leaving myself space to utilize my chicken math skills.

Last edited:
Welcome! I'm jealous! I'd be riding in it, though. With such a great shelter from rain, snow, and wind, what you will need is predator proofing and nest boxes. I would build pens of different sizes; start with one at least 80 sq. ft., and larger would be better, for your twenty hens. If you have a solid perimeter foundation that's great, otherwise a wire skirt to prevent digging critters. Only use hardware cloth, maybe reinforced with woven wire, but no openings larger than 1/2 inch diameter anywhere. Chicken wire is useless, and welded wire is also too flimsy. You will want to be able to walk into your pens, so 7' to 8' tall is best. Mary

So much space, so many options!!

I'd be worried about predators getting into open topped enclosures, even inside the arena.

Can you make openings to go into runs in the sidewalls?

You might think about building some hoop coops.

Back
Top Bottom