Run question... please help

new2chicks3

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2015
Hello,

I have a inclosed chicken run that sits on dirt. The chickens have started to dig around the edges to get bugs, cool off, dust baths ect... , and it has started to make holes to the outside of the inclosed area. I was wondering what I should do to fill those holes back up? Just more dirt, sand, I need some ideas please!?!

TIA

Hey, New2chicks, You really should have your run sitting on wood, concrete or bricks. My run is 2 (6 x 10) heavy duty outdoor dog kennels put together with a roof over it. I have a combination of bricks and landscape timbers under the edges. If your chickens are starting to dig out it is only a matter of time before predators start to dig in. The wood and bricks also keep the metal bottom of the dog kennel from rusting away like it would if it sat directly on the ground in our wet climate. Good luck!!

Yep an apron will help:
Corner mesh is out of scale but don't forget the corners!

BUT..that won't keep them from digging holes near the walls...mine have started to tunnel underneath the apron.
I put 6-10 inch logs along the bottom of the run walls on the inside....or you could use big rocks or boards.

Or put an apron on the inside as well as the outside to stop the chickens from tunneling under the fence if that is a problem. 12” of chicken wire would work well to stop the chickens. On the outside to stop predators I’d suggest 18” to 24” of something heavier than chicken wire. I used 2”x4” welded wire for that.

Back
Top Bottom