Omega Supplementation - Hemp Seed - Is it safe to include in Feed? Or as treat only?

CrookedLaneGame

In the Brooder
May 22, 2015
Coastal Maine
I have read a couple other posts, similar to this one, and unfortunately, I found them pretty much useless..So! That is why I have posted about this topic, despite others having done so already....And, Before we get too far, I'm assuming we are all adults...or least mature enough, that and we don't need to make tons of Marijuana inspired posts. I am looking for actual advice & information, not pages of silliness that answers nothing, and gets totally off topic. If you don't have an answer to my question, please don't post.

I have read & researched various DIY feeds, but I prefer to "doctor up" my chickens store bought feed. I don't currently know enough about how to figure & balance the proper levels of nutrients to keep my chickens healthy....so I like to think that if I find a decent food and add a few things to it, it's better than nothing!

Recently, I purchased a bag of shelled Hemp Seeds from the grocery store, and I was amazed at the nutritional content! They are packed full of various Omegas, have lots of protein, fiber, and a great list of minerals. I know that supplementing, or adding Omega to chicken feed is pretty common, and my chickens are close to laying age. I am interested in supplementing their feed with Omegas, but I'm not sure if the Hemp Seeds are safe to use, in that manner. Hemp seeds also have a high iron content.

So, what I'm wondering is: Has anyone tried this? If it is safe, what is the ratio that I should try? Is it better to use it as just a treat? and if the iron level is too much, is it possible to add a small amount of Hemp and do the rest with Flax or something? Or would that even be worth doing??

Any info or personal experience would be helpful. Thanks for your time & hope to have some answers soon! (I gotta mix up a new batch of food in the next week, and am working on the shopping now)

Considering the high cost of ready-made high omega-3 chicken feed. I began a quest to make my own. Cam to the conclusion that for now Chia is the best way to go (although I am researching finch(niger seeds) right now as a cheaper option.
Niger seeds or nyger, nyjer, or Niger seed; Guizotia abyssinica seeds have a linoleic acid content of 45.5%–65.8%, While chia has 50-57% lenolenic acid.

The ratio of chia seeds (highest in omega-3's) to get the highest omega-3 content in chicken eggs, without wasting the chia, is 28% (280 g chia/kg of food) of feed. But effects were great for 21% 210 g/kg as well. I waded through a 30-page poultry research article that compared feed rates of chia, hemp, flax and their oils. The article also brought up the health detriment of flax to chickens and that eggs flavor was adversely affected by large amounts of flax. No adverse effects on flavor from Chia.

Here is the link to that article if you are interested: http://www.produccionbovina.com.ar/..._avicola/120-Chia_British_Poultry_Journal.pdf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom